Control issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
10u DD switched from H/E to a whip style release about a month and a half ago. She was incredibly accurate pitching H/E but after a lot of reading here and research we went ahead and made the switch. Her speed has increased tremendously even though we are still working on a leg drive issue. My only issue is that her accuracy has dropped off. Is this common when making this switch and on average how long does the average pitcher take to start hitting her spots again? Is this something that just takes time to work itself out or should I be scrambling?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
My experience is that by focusing on full effort and mechanics that accuracy will come in due time. I would not expect to see linear progress either. With my first DD it was pretty much an overnight thing. One day she was wild and had been so for months with no seeming improvement and then during warm ups for a friendly one day she was spot on accurate and has been very accurate since with just a few bumps in the road. The fact that she is 10u means it really is a "don't sweat" it type of thing, if her mechanics are coming along nicely then accuracy has no choice but to follow.

Nov 29, 2009
Exactly what JJ said. She is in the process of retraining herself for a new release point while throwing the ball faster. A lot of things have changed in her motion. Give it some time and you'll see the misses will be come smaller and smaller as she progresses. One day she'll have it and the next day she wont. It's part of the learning curve. Unfortunately, there are multiple steps backwards in the path.

From what you said it sounds like she is progressing as expected. Be patient.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
My first year 10U DD just switched to I/R from HE. She was fifty/fifty accurate with HE and zero % accurate during games due to nerves - A lot of very high balls and some hit batters. We haven't used I/R consistently in a game but practices are looking so much better. We switched as I started to notice her best pitches finished differently than HE. After reading the posts here....I figured it out it was IR. We are sticking it out....... Here's hoping for the best to all that make the switch.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Have you watched the Hillhouse video? If so, try having your DD pitch into her own glove.[/Q
We have actually been working on that. She went to a session with Bill Hillhouse last month and he really got the ball rolling on switching to a whip style relase.

Ark
Check her brush interference.....sometimes when first learning I/R the kids tend to get their hand angled out away from the thigh.....should get contact down to within 2 inches of the wrist joint...plus she should have the fingers pointing down not angled out toward third (RHP)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma