Contact by coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 9, 2012
Its very hard to know when/how a coach can contact you and in what way they can. There are so many dates and rules. My advice would be to check the NCAA website if you have questions on these dates.

Jul 9, 2010
They can start to email you directly, other than form-mail camp notices and such, in Sept of junior year. They can talk to you off-campus after July 1 after junior year.

They can talk to you on-campus anytime you are on campus. Fall is a much better time to do a campus visit, because coaches are less busy. It's hard to get their attention in the spring, especially if you are a freshman.

D3, JUCO, and NAIA have different rules.

Many schools require that you do their online questionnaire, so that they have you in their database. Just don't get confused by form letters telling you about camps, thinking it's a special invite.

Feb 14, 2010
Jinjet,

My DD is also a 2015 like your DD and shes received personalized emails asking her personally to come to camps and fill out their questionaires. Most of them are from D1's so like you it confused me but weve always filled them out. Most of the colleges are out of state and schools that we've had no prior relationship with. I'm actually having my DD call the coaches and strike up a conversation with them. We've just started the recruiting process and I have to admit its daunting and tiresome already.

Good luck to you and your DD.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
My DD is entering her freshman year of high school. This summer her team attended a couple of Exposure tournaments. Since she's so young, she only contacted a couple of coaches she was familiar with from camps. One or two did show up to watch her. After the first 2 tournaments, she received 3 letters from coaches that said they had seen her play and were impressed with her play. They requested she complete their questionnaire. These weren't schools she contacted. Is that normal after a tournament? Do coaches just send out random letters? 1 school is NAIA, 1 is D-I and 1 is D-III. We are really new to this, so don't know what to think.

DD is a 2013 Pitcher and has been going through what you describe here for the past 2 years. There are contact rules that we still don't completely understand but what we DO understand is that DD needs to cast the largest net possible by sending lots of emails and completing on line questionnaires. We also understand that DD needs to have a hand picked list of schools that she would like to attend; she needs to send personal emails to them, attend their camps where possible and pick up the phone and call the coach personally (Coaches are not allowed to make outbound phone calls to prospects until a certain time, but if a kid calls THEM they can talk to them all day long).

As a freshman and sophomore, DD played on a fairly high profile travel team that attended many showcase tournaments. 2 weeks before a tournament she would find out what colleges would be there and send each and every one a form-letter email addressed to the coach letting them know her position, grad year, team, and game schedule. If one of her "top 20" team coaches were to be there she sent them a personallized email. This worked well for DD and is in contact with a few schools that show serious interest.

Good luck and most of all have some fun with this and enjoy the ride!!!

Oct 14, 2008
Only D3 can contact her at that age. The rest can send you an invite to a camp/clinic so they can talk to you on campus, but that is about it. Many good threads on here about contact and some very good books on this subject. I suggest you attend a college camp on recruiting. Many coaches conduct these with parents. They will cover all the rules.

D3,s in Ohio are pretty aggressive in their recruiting. Constant e mails, news letters and camp info. They start early to build that relationship that D1 so often times fail to do. There were 2 or 3 D3 colleges that kept constant contact with mine from 9th grade on up, Heck the coach at Muskingam seemed to know her stats before they were posted on the High School Conference web site.

They have to work harder and longer at recruiting to land that big fish that seem to want to gravitate to the D1 pond. I defiantly agree with you. Start as early as possible going to the recruiting seminars, read as much as possible and take as many visits as you can afford.

Tim

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Only D3 can contact her at that age. The rest can send you an invite to a camp/clinic so they can talk to you on campus, but that is about it. Many good threads on here about contact and some very good books on this subject. I suggest you attend a college camp on recruiting. Many coaches conduct these with parents. They will cover all the rules.

NAIA can also contact her at that age too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12