Connector

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
A push disconnect. Sure. Probably what I would call it too if I saw the swing you are talking about. I see it in both boys and girls. I presume this is what these people are teaching. Photo 18 of 31, Analysis

Yes that's a push, but not the push I'm talking about. The push I'm talking about I see in the girl using the Connector device. There seems to be a widely held belief in fastpitch, that a hitter can't push if they rotate their shoulders and maintain the box/triangle.

It would be interesting to see if the Connector device would work doing what BM is doing. I would guess probabaly not. Is there a way to blend what BM is doing with the hand path the girl is demonstrating while using the Connector device? I'm not sure. I'll leave that up to others who have actually used the device to decide.

My experience has been that if you get your hands flat early like BM is doing, the front elbow raises up nicely, very early in the swing, making it easier to maintain the triangle/box. So, I'm not sure the Connector device is necessary if the hands get flat quickly upstream.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
MTS said:

"Notice the position of the front elbow before the swing starts. It is down and it moves up into plane as it moves forward. This is what I was trying to explain in the other thread."

I also want to confirm that you (MTS) were also trying to explain there was an element of live/independent action of lead arm as opposed to arm being fused/slaved to front shoulder/scap action.

Great to see BM using the "tip and rip" action which I find goes along very well with the Epstein flat palm hitting/always work the lead arm/elbow up a little.

An important caveat here, in my opinion regarding the high level pattern that resembles overhand throw up until GO, is that you do not wantan overactive loading then pulling of the front shoulder as this will cause flying open/pulling off the ball.

The thing that works the front elbow up initially is internal rotation, then at GO, lifting more or less up off the chest as up/down adjustment with simulataneous forearm twist (lead forearm pronation and back forearm supination), shoulder tilt (lead shoulder was positioned down and in and now tilts up), and elbow swapping type action.

If you instead conceptualize the swing as lead arm/shoulder PULL action, the hands can not stay back as they get the palms flat and you lose the stretch and fire and adjustability and force a more 2 piece swing where you slot then swing/get on the front foot then pull.

also direction of handle torque when palms start getting flat is important especially to in vs out as Mankin describes here from the archives:

Bat Speed Products

see:

Bat Speed -- Baseball Hitting Forum

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Hell I don't remember Tewks.....It was BP against Lincecum.........Maybe a "slider" middle-out.......

I know I squared it and went yard over the RC fence though......And the fans on the bench behind me went friggin wild!

Maybe with some "magic", we can help pick up the in incoming ball and watch it sail out.......

2vt16r4.gif

I dont know how you hit a homerun.
You lifted your head in the swing, and your wife was yelling at you to get the grass mowed.:D

Straightleg

Jul 14, 2008
I dont know how you hit a homerun.
You lifted your head in the swing, and your wife was yelling at you to get the grass mowed.:D

Straightleg

Hence the saying: "even a blind squirel finds an acorn once in a while"........:D

As far as the lawn thing goes.......The nice thing about having a big synthetic putting green in the backyard is how easy it is to "not mow it"......:p

Truely the funniest part for me is when I'm supposed to be "simulating" a pitch.....I can't remember which way my head/eyes should be turning........Out to in.....Or in to out!

I think its spelled "dementia"?......;)

May 12, 2008
Yes that's a push, but not the push I'm talking about. The push I'm talking about I see in the girl using the Connector device. There seems to be a widely held belief in fastpitch, that a hitter can't push if they rotate their shoulders and maintain the box/triangle.

Maintain the box is a cue to get across the idea of connection/connecting the bat efficiently to the rotating torso. If they push, they are not connecting efficiently and would therefore, by definition, not be maintaining the box.

May 12, 2008
MTS said:

"Notice the position of the front elbow before the swing starts. It is down and it moves up into plane as it moves forward. This is what I was trying to explain in the other thread."

I also want to confirm that you (MTS) were also trying to explain there was an element of live/independent action of lead arm as opposed to arm being fused/slaved to front shoulder/scap action.

If all live and independent action of the lead arm meant to you was what BM just showed, whoever had a problem with that? Basic basic.

Jul 14, 2008
Shame on both of us for asking Tom a question but sometimes you just have to wonder.

Seriously......Isn't torque truely just a way to deliver the energy build in the hips/torso to the barrel.......Without "slop" in the linkages?........The torso/shoulders better be turning ALL THE WAY to contact......OR YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO PUSH BOTH hands to keep the barrel moving..........

See Tewks drill.......He hits the ball with his "back shoulder"........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG