Connector

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
YouTube - Connector.wmv

3/4 piece is 10 inches long. 1/2 in piece is 8 inches long. All pipe is lightweight pvc. The only pipe I could find at home depot that slid into each other.
Glued in dowel rod in each end. Found that in the lumber section. Different size dowel rods.

Curved gray pipe is long 45 degree electricial pipe. They have 3/4 and 1/2 in pieces.

I just cut off the bell for hooking the 2 pieces together.

Took a small paddle bit for inside of curve to fasten gray piece to dowel rod.

Drill for push pin also found at home depot or lowes for adjustment. I used a bolt and nut

Connector Device Video

Elbows working in unison in the swing. Keeping the arms connected to the shoulders on rotation. This is used just in slo-mo for that feeling of the upper body turning in unison.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

rhtjqe.jpg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Fiveframe
Thanks for posting my daughter working the elbows with the shoulders.

Next slo - mo swing we film , will get her to drop her back elbow into slot quicker and get the palm up/ palm down to happen earlier. Also will work on a tighter hand to chest ratio.

But thanks

Straightleg

Last edited:
R

RayR

SL,

I am not putting down your daughter's swing when I say the following as I have been down a path that was shouldercentric. I would like to see more independent scap movement as opposed to fusing the arms and shoulders together. Scap movement and shoulder movement are two distinctly different animals.

The elevated front elbow at the start causes me concern and here is why:

When the elbow makes a good first move from this position it creates more of an around move of the front shoulder (pulling off). It is because the high elbow kind of locks the shoulder in to any arm movement. Move the arm and the shoulder moves.

If the front elbow is down (in relation to the shoulder plane) and behind the belly button the front shoulder can start from a down and in position relative to the back shoulder – more of a relaxed position that allows the scap to move.
When the elbow makes its first move it should be in the down direction (down the line – meaning on the plane, not to the inside). This initial downward move will elevate the front scap (not the shoulder although it will look shouldery) and the rear one will depress - go down. This is good lateral tilt that does not need to be orchestrated because the initial down move of the elbow is so minute that the elbow is almost immediately working back up. More of a swing thought than an actual move.

If the pitch is low and inside - the front elbow is pretty much on the right plane and will work back up so that the hands can work underneath. (See my cone drill for immediate feedback in the other thread).

If the pitch is higher the elbow will flatten (away from the body) as it works up creating an in to out hand path.

On the flip side, if the elbow is elevated the first move is in the same plane and makes hitting low pitch very hard as the elbow will have to work down creating a downward hand path. Or will rely on trying to tilt over more or less to keep everything in line.
I am not saying tilt doesn’t happen, but I believe tilt responds to what front arm is doing.
Another reason I like the lower elbow is that you can keep the shoulder in longer for outside pitches and take the pitch opposite field hard as opposed to swinging out to in and slicing across the ball.

May 12, 2008
Scap movement and shoulder movement are two distinctly different animals..

That's true. Nyman was one of the first to talk extensively about this. I have concerns about the rest of your post, but I like this point a lot.

R

RayR

That's true. Nyman was one of the first to talk extensively about this. I have concerns about the rest of your post, but I like this point a lot.

Yeah, I realize that most would not agree with what I laid out, but I can only go by what I see and results of better squared up balls. Casting is an epidemic. Used to think it was barrel dumping, but you can train that out of swing rather quickly. Casting is one tough nut to crack and I feel it is directly tied into the fusing of the arms and shoulders. I can make players go nutty by hammering low and away with front toss and when they start diving in I bust them up inside.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The elevated front elbow at the start causes me concern and here is why:

When the elbow makes a good first move from this position it creates more of an around move of the front shoulder (pulling off). It is because the high elbow kind of locks the shoulder in to any arm movement. Move the arm and the shoulder moves.

I'm not following you here.

Is your point that the lead arm initially resists forward movement as the rear elbow is lowered ... as we see below?

AlbertPujols_1B_HR_ToLCF_090017_60FPS_ExtRot_.gif

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
MTS -

how are you defining "shoulder" ?

What is the difference in your opinion between scap and "shoulder" ?

Assuming there is a difference, why is the distinction between scap and shoulder necessary/useful ?

R

RayR

No, what I am saying is that casting is a huge problem in fastpitch. Keeping the front arm down unlocks the arm from the shoulder and allows the scaps freedom of movement without pulling the shoulder out which throws the hands away from the body.

Pujols is not a good/fair example.

Edmonds is more what I am getting at.

Edmonds3.gif
Edmonds5.gif

Edmonds8.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan