Conference with Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
You're mistaken - teams are allowed 3 charged defensive conferences and the pitcher is removed on the 4th. It is a common misunderstanding due to the way the rule is phrased.

Ugh, this happened to us this weekend. My DD's 14u team is playing, she's pitching, and the HC has already had one defensive conference that inning. He asks for time for another one, and GETS DENIED by the umpire and is told that he's only allowed one defensive conference per inning. Whut? I had just read this particular post the day before and had looked up the rule, and there was no special tournament rule superseding it, so I told our HC he has 3 per 7 innings, which he goes to argue with the umpire. He allows him to have his defensive conference, and as he's walking away, the umpire tells him he has to change the pitcher because he's had two defensive conferences in one inning. HC asks the umpire to ask the UIC for help with that one. UIC had been observing all this, finally came down to consult with the umpire. After their discussion, the umpire turns around and says "play ball" without offering a resolution. Our HC asks what the outcome of the discussion was, and the umpire tells him he can leave the pitcher in.

For the rest of the tournament, the umpires were very clear about when a defensive conference was being charged.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Tournament this weekend, I had 1 charged conference already. It starts raining and we have about a 10 minute delay and play goes on. Well my pitcher who has been throwing pretty good sails 3 balls over the batters head. I call time to go out there. I get to the circle and the landing area is nothing but very slippery mush. The HP tells me, I'm not charging you with a conference, this is a maintenance time out. I had never heard of it, but I thought it was pretty cool of the umpire to do that.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Tournament this weekend, I had 1 charged conference already. It starts raining and we have about a 10 minute delay and play goes on. Well my pitcher who has been throwing pretty good sails 3 balls over the batters head. I call time to go out there. I get to the circle and the landing area is nothing but very slippery mush. The HP tells me, I'm not charging you with a conference, this is a maintenance time out. I had never heard of it, but I thought it was pretty cool of the umpire to do that.

Had something similar this weekend. Pitcher getting blister on side of index finger because yours truly was calling a ton of riseballs. Could tell what was going on and told the BU that I wanted to check on health of my pitcher. BU accompanied me to circle to ensure strategy was not discussed. Checked on pitcher, she stayed in despite my better judgement. Conference was not charged.

She walked next hitter, threw a fatty to the next that cleared the temporary and settled at the base of the slowpitch fence. Enjoyed the rest of the weekend at home working on the honey-do list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild