Conference with Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Don

Mar 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
My team played a 10U rec game the other day and had something happen that I hadn't encountered before. The opposing coach (his team on the field at the time) called time, stood just outside the 3rd base line and called his pitcher (and only his pitcher) over to confer. Play resumed and a couple of batters later, does the exact same thing. I asked the umpire if the second conference with the same pitcher in that inning didn't require a pitching change. His response was that since the coach didn't go on to the field/all the way to the mound it didn't count as a conference with the pitcher.

Not having a rule book handy, and not wanting to argue with a 10U rec umpire in a regular season rec game anyway, I didn't pursue it further. I would just like to know the correct ruling if it comes up again, as it is very possible we may see the same team again in the playoffs. We play under USSSA rules.

Thanks

Don

Jun 24, 2013
Defense is allowed 3 conferences per 7 inning game. After that they need to remove the pitcher if they have a conference.

The coach not walking on the field sounds like a LL baseball thing. I remember that they did not like coaches on the field and called players over to the line. This has nothing to do with the rule, a conference is a conference.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
As stated above, except for NCAA the coach gets 3 defensive conferences in a 7 inning game. They can take all 3 in one inning if they wish, and if they do change pitchers it is not considered a conference. Crossing the foul line has nothing to do with it. If the coach calls time to confere with any of their players they have had a conference. Had a coach argue once he had not taken a conference because he never left the dugout. He called time and called the catcher over to fence and had a discussion with her.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Here is the USSSA definition of a charged conference:

A charged conference takes place when a coach or bench personnel requests time-out to meet with offensive or defensive personnel.

As you can see, "crossing the foul line" isn't a part or requirement of the rule. Did this coach request time to meet with his player and did that meeting actually take place?

Sounds like you got yourself a charged conference!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have been charged for a conference, and rightly so when my catcher has called time out and run over to talk to me through the fence. A defensive conference is just that, the location of said festivities is not relevant.

Don

Mar 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
So, in this case it worked out ok, but not necessary because anyone (including me) knew the rule correctly. The coach took two trips "to the line" in that inning (which the umpire incorrectly indicated weren't charged as conferences) and two trips to the mound the next inning. On his second trip to the mound the next inning he replaced his pitcher. So if I understand correctly, everything was good (assuming these were the only conferences in the game). Three conferences allowed in 7 innings, and after that a pitching change required. I believe I understand.

Thanks

Mar 26, 2013
Technically he should have changed his pitcher after the 3rd conference. Not at the 4th.
You're mistaken - teams are allowed 3 charged defensive conferences and the pitcher is removed on the 4th. It is a common misunderstanding due to the way the rule is phrased.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi