Completely insolent t-baller - should coach suspend her?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Is there ever an offense - other than physically attacking another player - for which a bratty t-baller should be suspended?

In this case, the kid has tried to attack the coach by kicking, and lies down in the field, sits on bases, won't be quiet when coach is talking, etc. in an effort to be as disruptive as she possibly can.

It's my opinion that this player is being seriously disruptive to other players' enjoyment of the game.

Feb 3, 2011
Yeah, 5-6, and the parents don't want anything to do with the situation. The mother shrugs her shoulders and says "she doesn't listen to me either.

We've got a terrific group of t-ball coaches, but this one is the best. She's been remarkably patient with this player and parent.

Jul 26, 2010
I assist coaching a t-ball team. What I do with these kids is designate a "happy tree". They run to the happy tree and back, a lot. They behave more when they're tired, and they're not disrupting the team when they're running. I've also been known to actually tell them to go make a sandcastle on the neighboring field.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
After many years of teaching 2nd grade, Sunday School and coaching, I am guessing that the kid has an emotional or psych problem. Discipline such as spanking, does not help.

This shouldn't be the teams problem. I would tell the mother privately, that the child is not enjoying this activity and unless the mother can get her to behave, she can't play. So, if the mom fights it, I might have to take her back, but at least I tried.

I have a hateful (sometimes) student that comes to lessons. She hit me with the ball one day. That is her one strike, next time I am leaving.

Jan 20, 2010
I assist coaching a t-ball team. What I do with these kids is designate a "happy tree". They run to the happy tree and back, a lot. They behave more when they're tired, and they're not disrupting the team when they're running. I've also been known to actually tell them to go make a sandcastle on the neighboring field.

-W

Yep...when I coached really young kids they would run a lot. Works with not so young kids too :).

Oct 25, 2009
I have great respect for coaches of that age level. There is absolutely no way that I could coach below 10U, much less 5-6 years old.

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for all the feedback. Although the coach still does have that suspension remedy available to her, I did consult with our exec and they asked whether there was any way to avoid going to that level just yet. There are only about 5 games and just 2-3 practices left in their season, so the coach agreed to speak again directly with the parent and to let her know that any further excessively disruptive behavior during a team event would result in the parent being asked to remove her child for the remainder of that session, plus 1 game.

I am a big believer in the concept of classrooms without walls, but I've seen this coach in action and can say she gives the players a very appropriate amount of freedom to just be kids within the context of learning some softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet