College coaches and tough degree plans

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd had a project in her first semester engineering class. Her and 2 others had to make and model dog ran a robot. It was a competition and each team had to be able to do specific things and run specific courses. My dd put 100 hours dd put 100 hours DS into this in 2 weeks plus all her other work and staying for mid terms.

May 27, 2013
I shared this in another thread - I was recruited for a DIII program back in the mid-90's, at the time I was undecided as a major. During the early summer after my Senior Year of high school, my college coach called to check in with me and I told her I chose nursing as my major. She told me directly that I would need to change my major; stating I would never have enough time for both. She said I could play freshman year but then come sophomore year, I'd be too involved with clinicals. Sadly she was right - after deciding to not play ball, I know first-hand it would have been nearly impossible for me. In a BSN program, you spend 2-3 days per week, all day long, at the hospital starting 2nd semester sophomore year. You had better been extremely sick with a high fever if you even considered missing a clinical day.

Nov 18, 2013
About half the kidsplaying at DII Augustana in SD are nursing majors. They've had a good deal of success in softball and are well known in this region as a nursing school.

May 27, 2013
About half the kidsplaying at DII Augustana in SD are nursing majors. They've had a good deal of success in softball and are well known in this region as a nursing school.

That's great - glad they could make it work and have a supportive coach, as well as understanding professors. They're very lucky.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Thanks for this. Any breakdown on whether "Athletic Activities" included travel to games, where study and bus/plane time might overlap?

Do you know anyone who actually studies on a team bus? They get really noisy.

Most of the girls don't do anything but cheer during the game. Could be study time, but I don't think a coach would appreciate it if one of the ladies on the bench broke out her Anatomy and Physiology book in the middle of a game.

A couple years ago, HC for DD's team arranged for the girls to meet with Liberty University's softball team after a game. Many of their players talked of how important studying on the bus was in order to keep up with classes. I assumed that was common, but perhaps it's not.

Study during a game? Don' be silly. I never said that.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
A couple years ago, HC for DD's team arranged for the girls to meet with Liberty University's softball team after a game. Many of their players talked of how important studying on the bus was in order to keep up with classes. I assumed that was common, but perhaps it's not.

Study during a game? Don' be silly. I never said that.

I meant that as a joke. Sorry. :cool:

That was inspired by instructions my DS' college rowing coach gave to his rowers. Regattas take all day, and they spend only a portion of that in the water. He tells them to study when not racing, but I haven't actually seen that happen. That just led me to speculate as to whether a girl on the bench would ever dare to study during a game.

Oct 16, 2014
this is a very interesting read. I have 2 DDs one is 13 and I don't think has any desire to play past high school. My 10 year old is a pitcher and spends a lot more time "honing her craft" than her sister and has the ability to be a really gifted player if she keeps at it. She has also told me she doesn't care to play in college if it interferes with her major. She wants to be a Doctor. We know several girls that played on college scholarships and not many speak 100% favorably of the experience and I think that scared both of mine. At least one girl we know had to change her major because the team traveled on her lab days. A few others talk about burn out. I've told my kids that they will go to college no matter what as we have planned and saved for it. Playing on scholarship isn't the only way. Play because you love it and want to play. We have a lot of time to figure that out and things may change by then. In the meantime reading about this is very informative. Could be we have been totally painted the wrong picture. Wouldn't it be great if they could do everything....

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Every person is different, every team is different.

I have 4 kids, and 2 of them have no use for organized sports at all, although my DD #1 had a lot of talent at softball.

My DS is a D-3 collegiate rower. On one hand, we worry about enormous amount of time it takes from his studies. They are in-season in the fall and spring, (officially a spring sport, spring quarter is when they get preference registering for classes), but even in the winter they have practice 2 hours 6 days a week. In season they have regattas that can take a HUGE chunk of the weekend. Even in the winter they make several trips 75 miles to U Wisconsin to use their indoor training facilities. HOWEVER, we think DS is better off rowing. It makes him much happier. It is most of his exercise (also some biking when warmer and intramural sports), and most of his social life (aside from his dorm and intramurals). The trade-offs make it worth it -- for HIM. And, he got to spend a week away from freezing Milwaukee in sunny Waco this week, and won 2 races against the Baylor Bears this morning.

My DD #3 says she wants to play college ball, but she is an 8th grader now and a lot can change.

Sep 18, 2011

I checked the website - Augustana ("Augie" to those of us who have lived in Sioux Falls) has 8 nursing majors on the roster. Very succesful softball program as they have been to the D2 WCWS multiple times over the past several years and are routinely ranked in the top 15 (off to a bit of a rought start this year). Amazing to me how some programs get it, and some don't. And the audacity of a coach to ask a recruit to switch majors blows my mind. "Hmmm. Well, I really wanted to be a nurse. That was my calling in life. But, gee, you are SUCH a good softball coach that I'm willing to throw that all away just so that I'd have the chance to play for you. Because you're THAT good." What an ego some of these coaches have. And if they aren't creative enough to find a solution, then they have no business being in the coaching profession.

Those of you with dds who want to be nurses (or doctors), consider putting Augie on your list. Sioux Falls is a great place to live and go to school (also two large hospitals, Sanford and Avera, and both are excellent). Great coach. The softball facilities aren't the best but other than that, it's an excellent school.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi