College Coach and Parents That ACTUALLY use(d) recruiting services.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
I would like to take the recruiting questions to a new direction.
1. How many college coaches actually use the recruiting services like NCSA and others?
2. Then How many Parents have used recruiting services like NCSA and others and had SUCCESS or NOT SUCCESS?
3. Is the money worth spending or is someone getting rich on the guilt of parents?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Recruiting services can be beneficial, but people need to realize that college coaches get hundreds of emails a week, and if they are a "blast" from an online recruiting service they will probably be ignored. We made postcards with pictures of my DD on the front and either her summer showcase schedule on the back or blank where she could write a thank you note for any coaches who came to watch her play. VistaPrint would even mail them directly to college coaches from an address list I uploaded. Get a skills video posted online and email the link to college coaches. Not sure who all watches them (probably do not want to know), but my DD's skills video has over 6000 views!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
We have just started the process earlier this summer and have been using Captain U. I know emails, etc. can be handled without one of these "services" but I personally like the fact that everything is organized in one nice little place for us to see and review. I guess you could say we use it for the convenience. DD has emailed several colleges. Some don't reply at all. Some have emailed her back and forth several times. A couple have come to see her at tournaments (showcase and otherwise). My personal opinion is that much of this is dependent on the size of the school involved. I am also quite sure that recruiting in the northeast is probably handled a bit differently than other places in the country.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If you are looking for a job, and make no mistake that is exactly what you DD is doing, what is more effective posting your resume online or reaching out to the person who is doing the hiring? Just as in the corporate world, who you know can make all the difference in the world. I am not talking about TB coaches or Recruiters who claim to have a connection with a Big Name Coach because they got a business card at the end of a 30 second encounter. You best ally is the TB coach or parent who has actually had someone play at that school. They will can get you a deal but they will get you looked at.

The recruiting services claim that by creating a profile on their site they will help "coaches find you". Well that is all fine and good if the coach looks for players on a site like they are shopping for shoes at Amazon. For some programs the fact that you are interested in their program will thrill them because they have to beg for players. For coaches at great schools with competitive programs you need to set yourself apart. Joining a site with thousands of others does not set you apart. Send the emails or better yet some hand written or printed letters, go to camps and get some face time. Believe it or not some kids do not understand that for the cost of less than a sodie pop you can write something, sign it, put it in an envelope with a little sticker and have it delivered right to a coaches desk. Ask yourself, when did you last get a hand written or at least hand addressed letter?

Assuming you have the skills the recruiting process is very simple, do not make it hard.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've never used one, and probably won't, but I saw one recently that allows you to see who opens your emails, who clicks on the videos, how long they spend looking at it. I'd think that would be helpful gauging interest of coaches that can't email you back if you're too young. Maybe all these services do that, I don't know.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Here's a FWIW anecdote...DD did get two "offers" via CaptainU where money was not discussed but the coaches said they absolutely wanted DD to come (both on East Coast)...

In the meantime, a local training facility (owned by a former D1 catcher) hired a "recruiting" coordinator (former D1 Big 10 pitcher) to assist students with recruiting issues. Since DD took her pitching lessons there, and some hitting at times, seemed like something that could be helpful...so we signed up...recruiting coordinator gave DD names and email addresses of coaches she knew who she thought DD would be able to be successful playing for (DD is a pitcher but doesn't throw 65...so most if not all D1s wouldn't be interested even though I've seen plenty of WCWS games where pitchers were cruising at 57-60)...

Fast forward to 2014 Showcase by the Sea in San Diego...DD's team playing...her soon to be college HC (D3) is walking around the fields talking to TB coaches and handing out business cards...explains she just became an HC for the first time after being a D1 assistant HC for 12 years...going to have 7 seniors graduate...looking for players...DD's coach talks to her for a good 30 minutes and recommends 5 players (including DD)...gives all 5 players the HC's business card and recommends calling her...DD was the only one that called her...they talked for 45 minutes that evening, followed by a couple of months of emails and phone calls, summed up with a campus visit and a prospect camp...

DD becomes the new HC's first committed recruit...because DD was excited about the school, followed up on her own, AND performed in front of the coach...no recruiting service can do that for a player...there's no doubt that connections are important...but the player still has to "pass the job interview" on her own...

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Recruiting services can be beneficial, but people need to realize that college coaches get hundreds of emails a week, and if they are a "blast" from an online recruiting service they will probably be ignored. We made postcards with pictures of my DD on the front and either her summer showcase schedule on the back or blank where she could write a thank you note for any coaches who came to watch her play. VistaPrint would even mail them directly to college coaches from an address list I uploaded. Get a skills video posted online and email the link to college coaches. Not sure who all watches them (probably do not want to know), but my DD's skills video has over 6000 views!

I know of at least 2 views from an anonymous DFP member

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I know of at least 2 views from an anonymous DFP member

It is certainly worth a look. :)

Aug 9, 2015
Recruiting services in my opinion are a waste of money. It's all about doing the leg work. Instead of mom and dad forking over more dough, why not teach your DD how to work hard to develop relationships and sell themselves. That skill will be worth far more in the long run than any scholarship... From the coaches I know.... Personalized emails, letters, video, etc and CONSISTENT Correspondence are what work to get the relationship going... Camps, exposure tournaments, etc. build it further... While it may feel like you are being a pest, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JJS

Jan 9, 2015

Who did you have make your DD's skills video?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez