College Coach and Parents That ACTUALLY use(d) recruiting services.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I am coming at this having some experience in self-promotion/marketing (side business, no longer doing it). When I started, the medium was shifting to more online presence rather than hard copy/direct mail or advertising in the professional directories. Many sites popped up with varying costs, offering potential exposure to the "right" markets. Having a presence on one or many of these sites didn't make you any more attractive to a potential client, it was all about what you bring to the table. Presence on these websites did attract more spam to my mailbox and clients looking to get something for nothing. In the end, the thing that seemed to work the best was having a multi pronged attack, one "prong" of which was maintaining a web-presence that could easily be linked to in an e-mail or over the phone. That web presence should be interesting for a potential client but not exhaustive- always leave them wanting (to see) more.

I look at the recruiting process like Riseball said- like getting a job.

I set DD up with a Free profile at the NCSA website which can be edited/added to whenever we want. at the same time it's very easy for a potential coach to click on a link, take a quick look and see if they want to see more or forget it. they can see as much or as little detail as they want. It's up to DD to do her homework, find the schools she's interested in, initiate contact, etc. this online profile serves merely as a resume that is easily provided to anyone who is interested. No matter how good they are, I would never expect a service to do the work the recruit should do. It may be no surprise to you, but it turns out college coaches really like to receive a phone call as their initial contact from a recruit (if possible).

Part of the NCSA thing is you get to talk to one of their recruiters on the phone to get your questions answered and then they will have a conference call with DD and parents. this was VERY good for my then 14 yo DD who did not like talking to adults (including coaches) especially a college coach/scout. they tried to get me to commit after they had sold DD but I was able to convince them that it couldn't happen at that time. they left the door open for future contact. they appear to be service-oriented. After this phone conversation , DD did a complete 180 and wanted to start meeting and talking with College coaches!

I also set her up with a Captain U profile because her TB team coach had everyone do it before the season started. they are a pain because they send e-mails every day saying "Congratulations, another college coach just found you!" but if you want to find out who, you have to subscribe to their service. The number of hits hasn't increased but they keep telling you you're drawing more interest. I believe this interest was mostly from marketing people advertising college softball exposure camps.

If I was going to spend money for one of these services I think NCSA was cheaper overall, though Captain U provides a temporary more afordable option. NCSA seems to provide a fairly good amount of info and support at no charge.

Something I noticed was these sites tend to rush you into making a video ASAP and then updating it. (Like the way the online portfolio sites would insist the only way to get your foot in the door with the big clients was to have a presence on their site) One of the NCSA people told me that's so you can get a coaches attention when you're younger, with no pressure, and then they can follow you and see you grow/develop. One of DD's Pitching coaches told us not to bother with a video until you are at your best your Junior year and are jumping into the recruiting buisness with both feet. I saw a video another pitcher posted, who is same age as DD and it was very boring. it wasn't that great and if I was a college coach I wouldn't bother looking, and I wouldn't be in a hurry to look again next year.

Bottom line- They are not a magic bullet, but can be a useful tool in the process. if the services they provide are helpful to you and you feel worth the investment, then by all means go for it. Subscription to their services is by no means required to get a leg up on the competition. You and/or your DD must do your homework, find the colleges you're interested in, contact and visit them (in the fall preferably) see what fits best into your/DD's needs for a college program.

good luck to us all!

Last edited:

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Recruiting services can be beneficial, but people need to realize that college coaches get hundreds of emails a week, and if they are a "blast" from an online recruiting service they will probably be ignored. We made postcards with pictures of my DD on the front and either her summer showcase schedule on the back or blank where she could write a thank you note for any coaches who came to watch her play. VistaPrint would even mail them directly to college coaches from an address list I uploaded. Get a skills video posted online and email the link to college coaches. Not sure who all watches them (probably do not want to know), but my DD's skills video has over 6000 views!
I would venture a guess that every girl on her team, as well as every girl she's ever played with, has watched her skills video. My daughter loves spending rainy afternoons checking out these videos and making a list of do's and don't's for her own she's making this year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Recruiting services in my opinion are a waste of money. It's all about doing the leg work. Instead of mom and dad forking over more dough, why not teach your DD how to work hard to develop relationships and sell themselves. That skill will be worth far more in the long run than any scholarship... From the coaches I know.... Personalized emails, letters, video, etc and CONSISTENT Correspondence are what work to get the relationship going... Camps, exposure tournaments, etc. build it further... While it may feel like you are being a pest, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Geez I don't know what most parents in softball do for a living, but after travel, fees, lessons, gear, and swag - there isn't much left for recruiting in my budget! $8-10k-ish a year doesn't leave much for other stuff, and I know we are just getting started (Grade 9).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Who did you have make your DD's skills video?

I broke down and paid Tom Smarch do her skills video. He does a good job and for $250 I thought he was reasonably priced. We spent @ 2 hours at the field filming my DD pitching, hitting and playing 1B from various camera angles. He then took a week to put together the video and posted the link on Youtube. The original video was over 10 minutes long and I had some new video editing software that came with my Kodak Sport camera, so I edited a second version down to 5 minutes. It was a great learning experience. With a GoPro camera someone could put together their own skills video with basic editing skills. I think a skills video is one of the most important recruiting tools, so spend some extra time and effort and dazzle the coaches in the first 30 seconds.

Tom Smarch Photography

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would venture a guess that every girl on her team, as well as every girl she's ever played with, has watched her skills video. My daughter loves spending rainy afternoons checking out these videos and making a list of do's and don't's for her own she's making this year.

Here are links to the two versions of my DD's skills videos. Maybe your DD can get some do's and don'ts from them.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Everything else aside, that's one of the best skills videos I've seen. Succinct, to the point, doesn't dwell on any one thing for too long, and shows multiple angles of every aspect of her game. Great job.

She also looks like a heck of a ballplayer. :cool:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Jad - I love your daughters curve.

Thanks! The curve ball is her "go to" pitch. The skills video is almost 2 years old, and since that time she has learned how to throw a slurve with the same motion - I learned about it right here on DFP, but cannot remember who gets the credit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez