College coach 2 strike hittting instructions.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Another way to look at this is the team/coach likes to play a certain style and rewards certain results so bucking doesn't necessarily help. Get the two strike grounder down, advance the runner, take your attaboys...

I'm also NOT of the mindset that having a two-strike contact swing in their arsenal will ruin a hitter or take away from their ability to hit more aggressively if the team/coach/situation calls for it. A mentally strong hitter should own their swing regardless of approach (NOT saying anything negative about OP hitter!)

In short, while I'm not a huge fan of extreme "contact" swings (a little choke-up/shorten-up is fine) but I also don't think it will ruin this hitter (especially compared to some coaches that want to make drastic mechanical changes when they get hitters "under their wing.") In short, things could be worse :)

Instead of choking up DD uses split grip....on every swing, could help with a 2 strikes... JMHO :cool:

I would have her try to do what they ask....but go back to core swing... bat pasted to shoulder... with the split grip... giving the top hand a little more business than the bottom.

M%26S_W.gif

Regardless of what we say, teach ect.... We have to be coachable. I went and filmed the HS...found the pattern of coaches' preference, and have her working on it, just so it don't come as a last minute surprise.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2014
Anyone ever heard of the KC Royals? Many players change their swing up when they have 2 strikes. An obvious example of this to me would be Kendrys Morales. It becomes about putting the ball in play. I don't know why anyone would have an issue with this.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I don't think anyone has an issue with a hitter doing anything different on a two strike count, I think a lot of folks, myself included, have a problem with cookie cutter solutions for an entire team such as "use this stance" in a two strike count. Rarely does this type of approach work for everyone very well. it is no different than a hitting instructor that forces girls to remove strides etc. because it doesn't fit their idea of the swing. Learning how to be an effective two strike hitter is not a matter of a single mechanic, it is a mindset and some specific adjustments for each player to help them accomplish the goal of making sure they get something productive out of an at bat when they are on the ropes. Yes you need to be shorter to the ball on this count and yes you need to have a larger zone than normal, but some girls will accomplish this with getting a little preset in their load, some will choke up, some might open up their stance a little. Each player should be allowed to accomplish the goal in their own way, and if they can't then I think a coach steps in and gives specific instruction to THAT player to help them.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
2 strike approach? That's ridiculous! This conversation comes up a lot wether its fastpitch or baseball and a few dads get offended by what I have to say about the bogus "2 strike approach". I don't know about you guys but i have never had my DDs approach a hitting session with a 2 strike mentality! Aggressive! Aggressive! Aggressive! If you wanna do that then I suggest you go with the famous Wood Chopping hitting coach and work on hitting a weak grounder. There's no reason to take your hitters bat away anytime! If that's the case just freakin bunt! (Yes, with 2 strikes!) The only thing that changes is your hitting zone. 0-0? Just swinging at something down the pipe! 0-2? You're swinging at anything close! But!...In this case of OP DD the college coach is asking her to do this so our views don't matter. I'd agree with SNF being utilized for the sake of the kid. "2 strike approach". LMAO

Sent from my

Feb 7, 2013
This cookie cutter approach sounds just like the "lay the bat over home plate and slowly draw it back" two strike hitting used by teams like Alabama, etc. Do Major League Baseball teams mandate a particular stance and mechanics with 2 strikes?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Its not that they mandate, its that the professional, has an approach already in his arsenal. It nice to have something, and as a coach show them some tricks. give them something.

Why is it that i cringe when i hear "just put the ball in play" or hit it on the ground" bad advise IMO.

SNF is not a "just put the ball in play" swing. a big stretch is involved, with less movement.. i had some really green young ladies last year. and it was hard this year to talk them out SNF, because they did so well.

Dec 11, 2010
I'm no expert. And I'm not talking about slapping here. It sure seems like once you get to a certain level ground balls are usually outs no matter how hard you hit them. The ones that get through are the exception. And it's almost worse that it's hit hard, the fielder holds any runners and takes the out or doubles them.

Anyway, hearing people yell "just something in the dirt, hitter" doesn't sound like all that great of a plan to me anymore.

Jul 4, 2012
coach set the pitching machine to 75 MPH and DD advised she batted one time had a solid single (using her normal swing), the other team members she advised either struck out or hit weak

Coach may want to figure out how to get the team some more swings...

Oct 19, 2009
I don't think anyone has an issue with a hitter doing anything different on a two strike count, I think a lot of folks, myself included, have a problem with cookie cutter solutions for an entire team such as "use this stance" in a two strike count. Rarely does this type of approach work for everyone very well. it is no different than a hitting instructor that forces girls to remove strides etc. because it doesn't fit their idea of the swing. Learning how to be an effective two strike hitter is not a matter of a single mechanic, it is a mindset and some specific adjustments for each player to help them accomplish the goal of making sure they get something productive out of an at bat when they are on the ropes. Yes you need to be shorter to the ball on this count and yes you need to have a larger zone than normal, but some girls will accomplish this with getting a little preset in their load, some will choke up, some might open up their stance a little. Each player should be allowed to accomplish the goal in their own way, and if they can't then I think a coach steps in and gives specific instruction to THAT player to help them.

Exactly what I was trying to say only you did a much better job than me.

Thanks JJ!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283