College camps - who pays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
Just returned from a very successful 14U showcase in Hemet CA. Loads of major D1 coaches hanging out. Apparently My DGD drew some attention. We have a great coach who goes out and meets with the coaches and not only hands out profile flyers but also answers questions they have about a particular player. Through these conversations he gathers information from the coaches about their interests. There were several coaches that indicated they would like my DGD to attend there summer camp. Three of them are on her wish list. I know they can't pick up travel cost . The cost of the actual camps are kind of pricey, $700.00 for one of them. We are just starting down this exciting road and need some direction from those that have already been there. What are your experiences in this area.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Go to a school she would like to attend. Just keep in mind most camps are just money makers for the school. You pay and the costs can add up quickly. Just a word of advice, look at the school where she can get a degree in the field she wants to find a job. Softball comes second. Watch the coach as they coach the team and talk to players that play for that coach. Don't get surprised, many do. $700 why so high. We even had over night camps that didn't come close to $500 and that was room and board.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
When my DD was your DD age, all her softball friends attended the local D1 university camp every year, to get to know the coaches and for the coaches to get to know them. They never got scouted by this school.

My DD never attended one camp. We just did the normal, emailing and talking to schools and getting them to come out and watch her.

One summer my DD's college coaches were in our local area scouting at the local tournaments so we came out and helped them. They showed us a kid playing in one of the games and said, "Poor thing, she's been coming out to our camps every summer since she was little, but -skill wise-we really have no use for her".

So bottom line, if your skills aren't cutting it, it doesn't matter if you attend the camp or not. But if you have great skills and are interested in the school then go for it. --but $700 seems pretty steep to me.

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
The $700.00 camp is for a top tier team. It is a limited player elite 5 day stay in the dorm camp. It is supposed to be a full emersion camp to let the girls get a feel for the real thing.

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
I don't think I phrased the question completely. If the coach asks you to attend do you normally pay the fee ? I know Monica Abbot didn't pay to go to camps and I also know we are nowhere near that level of skill. I don't want to give the coach the wrong impression with a " if you defer the camp cost we'll come".

Nov 1, 2008
Maybe you could tell them, we want to come to the camp but we'll need a little time to come up with $700. Just to see if they'll waive the fee.

Sep 18, 2011
I have never heard of camp fees being waived. Would think that would be deemed an impermissible benefit. Anyone know for sure??

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Have not seen them waived. Heavily discounted, yes. At 14U although the interest is most likely genuine, I would not make too much of it. As one post suggested I would see if maybe a discount could be arranged. Regardless, if the $700 is all inclusive for 5 days it is a pretty good deal and will probably be a great experience for her. If the DD really likes the school I would find a way to make it happen.

Oct 22, 2009
The $700.00 camp is for a top tier team. It is a limited player elite 5 day stay in the dorm camp. It is supposed to be a full emersion camp to let the girls get a feel for the real thing.

Aww, okay that makes sense, I actually was one of the instructors in my DD's university pitching camp. It was for advanced pitchers only, 3 days--staying in the dorm--, 7:00am to 7:00pm, pitching. I've never been so exhausted and I wasn't even pitching!

And I'm pretty sure you need to pay. The coach is just suggesting your DD attend, one of two reasons, she'd liked to see her more or she wants the money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA