Coaching ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD
HS is having a decent season. Faced one of the best teams in our league as far as hitting teams the other night and we lost. The question i have....this good team has a very "average" pitcher. What i would describe as lolli-pop pitcher. Really nothing to her except she shut us out!! LOL

Her speed is somewhere in the mid to upper 40s. (slow for our HS area) Didnt throw really any movement pitches but our girls just could not hit her???? From what i saw, the girls eyes got as big as silver dollars when they saw how slowly she threw. All our girls as usual were up in the box....as the pitches came in they were around the girls chests...and as they crossed the plate they were belt high or slightly lower. We consistently popped ball after ball up.

Now the question i have is....wouldnt you as coaches tell the girls to move back in the box instead of forward?
I always thought you moved up in the box against faster pitchers to take away some of the movement pitches?
Just seemed like most of the girls were swinging early in the count at pitches that were way high and they could not
lay off of them.

So after 3 or 4 innings of putting nothing together the coaches made no changes...didnt even try bunting the ball? Even with a catcher or pitcher that didnt seem very athletic to me?

Feb 7, 2013
I'm not a big fan of changing your batting stance, in relationship to home plate, based on the pitching. If you are facing slow pitching, the batters need to wait on the pitch instead of being overly aggressive. It's takes patience and discipline. Easier said than done, especially if they have not practiced hitting slow pitching.

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD
Problem was the ump was calling a lot of those balls strikes. As the girl was up in the box the ball was up around her chest/waste.
When it crossed the plate the balls came in just at the waste or a hair below which the ump was calling strikes. She had that much
arc in her pitches!

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
the strike zone is where it crosses the plate not where it crosses the batter, so if they were belt high crossing the plate that would be a strike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321