Coaching in sandals / slides?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
I have arthritis in my feet and despite my efforts to get the best orthotics and most comfortable shoes, nothing is more comfortable for me than my open toed slides when I have to be on my feet for extended periods of time such as coaching in a tournament. (Actually barefoot is most comfortable but I'm not going there).

At any rate, when temps are warm, I have on occasion coached 3rd wearing my slides. Still wearing a professional looking coach jersey and khaki shorts. Other than occasional teasing from another opposing coach no one has ever said a thing about it.

Around here we play ASA, NSA, and USSSA. At any rate, I was talking to another coach and he told me that he was coaching in Myrtle Beach in sandals and the opposing coach complained to the umpire. The umpire then imformed that coach that he had to put on shoes or be confined to the dugout. Umpire was ASA.

I have gone through my rule book and cannot find where this is addressed. Is there really a rule about this?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Don't know about the other associations, but PONY just added the rule for 2012 -
Rule 3 sec 11 - Managers and coaches must wear closed toe shoes when on the field. Open toe shoes such as sandals and flip flops are not permitted.

Jul 26, 2010
I'd recommend carrying a doctors note describing your condition and recommendation.

There are rules (ASA) that an umpire could use (abuse) that relate. The first, of course, is simply if the umpire feels it is unsafe. I'm not sure what age group you play in, but I feel I'm pretty agile, and I still play infield on adult slow-pitch teams, and I've been nailed by foul balls. I wouldn't want to be hit in the toe.

Here are some rules that may apply:

Rule 4 Section 7 B:

Coaches must be neatly attired or dressed in the team uniform.

There is also the shoe rule, Rule 3 section 6 G. This defines acceptable footwear to be worn by "all participants", but it is not clear if coaches are considered participants or not.

There is also rule supplement 49 "Sporting behavior". This is vague, but it does include shirts tucked in, caps on forwards, and uniforms not "worn properly".

Again, carry a note, or even bring it up when you have your conference, and you will probably be okay.

-W

Mar 13, 2010
I'd recommend carrying a doctors note describing your condition and recommendation.

I would recommend this. Normally it's a huge no-no, but if there's a medical reason I don't have an issue.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Can you switch off and on, when you are in the dugout, etc.? I would hate for you to break a toe and the ball always hits me, where I am least protected.

My sister is completely disabled with RA, so I understand what you are saying.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Try this: Vibram FiveFingers : Barefoot Sports Shoes : Toe Shoes & Minimalist Shoes

They are actually shoes that reproduces the bare feet feeling. It's currently a BIG THING in fitness/yoga/health circles.

They look a tiny bit weird at first but it still gonna look a lot more professional and be more acceptable than sandals or open toe shoes.

Softball Canada actually just put it in their rule book that coaches can't wear sandals or similar shoes.

I suggest you look up the ''Speed'' model in the men's section. They are for casual use. Personally, it's also the one I prefer from a look perspective.

Coach Marc

Apr 13, 2010
Thank you for the link. I am definitely checking out the Vibram FiveFingers. I kind of like that Trek LS design. They won't look as dirty in dry dusty conditions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach