Coaching Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Have you fired the AC yet?

Unfortunately, It doesn't matter with the HS coach if the AC is sent packing or not. If the AC's daughter is still on the team the ex AC will now be motivated to re-double their efforts with reporting EVERYTHING the HC does.

The best option is for the HC to talk to the parents to see if there is any way they can play some tournaments or teams from states who play HS ball in the fall. Another thing is to see if there are other teams in the area who are in a similar situation with a poor HS coach who want to play games against each other and forego what is almost certain nonsense in HS. They have some time and may be able to get the ball started now.

I'm in a large suburban area and each spring the put together teams from girls who do not want to play for their HS for whatever reasons. Each year they usually have 60+ girls sign up. They divide up the girls and play round robins against each other on the weekends. They will also play in a couple of tournaments in states where they play HS ball in the fall. It seems to be working. They have plenty of girls showing up.

Oct 4, 2018
I dunno.

Easy for us to all talk, but I really would have a hard time moving forward knowing my AC was sneaking around behind my back.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
some times its not the players its the families attached to them that warrant a change.
^^ unfortunately this is so true. I'd rather have a player with ok talent and good parents rather than a player who's talent is through the roof but whose parents are bat-s%!t crazy. The parent(s) can become cancers, cause turmoil, and bring a team down. And remember, crazy doesn't fall far from the tree ;)

Apr 20, 2017
Unfortunately you are in a very tough position and feel very bad for you and your DD. First their is no win win situation that you as a coach/parent have landed in. If this is a small rural town without options then no matter what you do it will be wrong. If you went along with the HS coach then you are not developing your players to their full potential. If you go against their ideas then your daughter will be punished in school ball. It really stinks but that is just the reality.

First of all if the AC can be gotten rid of by you then that should happen immediately. And his daughter will need to go also. Doing that stinks and I have had to do that before myself. And as bad as it is for the girl it might be what makes the parent wake up and realize this is their daughter’s journey and their actions can have negative effects on their child. It may be the best lesson as a coach you can teach them.

I would not talk to other parents on your team about your talk with the other coach. The more people involved the bigger a mess it will turn into and divide your team. Just keep coaching the sound fundamentals and develop the girls the best you can. And worry about the rest later when the time comes.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I had a very similar incident way back. The HS Coach was very old school.. taught level swing, squish the bug, etc. He absolutely didn't agree with my teaching rotational hitting. I put together a pretty decent Powerpoint showing the difference between the swings, with associated videos. He didn't want any part of it, didn't want to hear what I had to say... so I got the girls and the parents together and I showed them the powerpoint and told them it's totally their choice which way they want to hit (I did not mention the HS Coach at all during this)... All of them bought in.

Feb 27, 2019
I had a very similar incident way back. The HS Coach was very old school.. taught level swing, squish the bug, etc. He absolutely didn't agree with my teaching rotational hitting. I put together a pretty decent Powerpoint showing the difference between the swings, with associated videos. He didn't want any part of it, didn't want to hear what I had to say... so I got the girls and the parents together and I showed them the powerpoint and told them it's totally their choice which way they want to hit (I did not mention the HS Coach at all during this)... All of them bought in.
Still got that power point?

Feb 3, 2011
She told me that I will be teaching her way.
"Thank you for your time, Ma'am...have a great day."

Everything is so different now. Regardless of your daughter's goals, as a unit, you have the opportunity to find and make the right sort of softball opportunities for her and the right situation may be just a few clicks away. It sounds like you're doing a great service for your community and you should continue learning, adopting, growing as you collect new and better information.

Jun 12, 2015
I actually agree with most of this. Why punish the AC's DD? What has she done to deserve to be cut?

Yeah, that's what DH & I thought last year. Kept the toxic parents (most toxic we've dealt with in 8 years of softball) because the sweet kid of theirs was thriving and she didn't deserve to suffer because her parents were awful. Over the spring they destroyed our team almost single-handedly. Sweet kid, yes, but not cutting her when we realized what the parents were like is probably the biggest mistake we've made in all of softball either as parents or running a team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles