Coaching Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
One of my assistant coaches went to the local high school coaches (husband & wife coaching staff) and told them that I am teaching the girls to hit "like baseball players" and teaching the IR pitching method as opposed to the HS coaches' preferred "hello elbow" style. The head HS coach asked for a meeting with me. She told me that I will be teaching her way. She doesn't want me to teach the girls to hit using their lower bodies just focus on the upper body movement and she will fix everything when she gets them in 8th grade. (!?!) She also insisted that I cease referring my pitchers to a local coach that was a very successful pitcher at a D1 school despite the fact that she is highly qualified and actually pitched in college in the current century!

How do I handle the HS coach and her ultimatums? Generally, in our geographic location, the school coaching staff has nothing to do with softball until 8th grade.

The girls I am sending up to her in two years will be excellent, coachable athletes but she stated all she wanted was "coachable" girls that will do everything her way.

Our part of the state is behind the times when it comes to teaching softball. It's like they are stuck in the 80's and 90's.

She told me that my experience with the game (I played NAIA 1992 - 1996 and went to nationals in 1996, plus a couple decades of coaching nieces and now my daughter) wasn't near her level of expertise (D3 pitcher and a High School coach of a small town school for the last four years). Feeling a bit peeved because I spend a lot of time educating myself on what is new in softball to stay current. I feel like she is setting up these girls for mediocrity!

I have a pitching coach and a very successful hitting coach set up for monthly clinics during the upcoming off-season (November - February). However, I have to use the High School gym because it is the only facility available. Should I cancel them or stick to my guns?
Sounds like you need a new HS coach. I would continue to do what your doing and maybe find a new AC as well.
Obviously difference of opinion and have to agree to disagree.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
One of my assistant coaches went to the local high school coaches (husband & wife coaching staff) and told them that I am teaching the girls to hit "like baseball players" and teaching the IR pitching method as opposed to the HS coaches' preferred "hello elbow" style. The head HS coach asked for a meeting with me. She told me that I will be teaching her way.

How do I handle the HS coach and her ultimatums? Generally, in our geographic location, the school coaching staff has nothing to do with softball until 8th grade. The girls I am sending up to her in two years will be excellent, coachable athletes but she stated all she wanted was "coachable" girls that will do everything her way.
First I would have along chat with your assistant coach about whatever it is they think they are doing. They might not be my AC for much longer if they are just going to rat me out to some HS coach.

And I would then happily ignore the HS coach. If they are stupid enough to not play skilled players when they get to HS or try to change successful players, that is a future problem. What can the HS coach actually do - they have no power over you.

You find many coaches here who teach the kids how to 'nod and then do what makes them successful. And you can do the same to the HS coach as well. It is the one thing I will give DD's HS coach credit for - he isn't messing with .500+ average or a 1.00 ERA despite DD not swinging or pitching the way they teach.

If the HS coach wants to teach 'their way' before they get to HS, then they can come out and coach the kids when they are younger on 'their team'. They have no control or impact over your team and it is bizarre to me that they think they do. Do what you need to do and what is best for the kids right now - and that includes sending them to whoever you think is best for them.

Sep 29, 2014
You need to find the polite version of the head nod and keep doing what you are doing...

Who knows if the coach will even be there in a few years...build the travel team you want, teaching the girls how to do things correctly and think can succeed; the HS coach usually only has them for 12 or 16 weeks you get them the rest of the year...those girls that can drive the ball and strikeout the other team will magically get playing time even though they aren't doing it the coach's way...most of the time although their are a few out there that would rather lose than get shown they have no clothes on,

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
What is her/their record at the school? What is the feeling around the community about the coaches? What is the AD like? If their record is not that good and the AD has a reputation as a reasonable guy then go in and talk to him. Tell him that you are donating your time to modernize and improve the school program and she is undercutting you. And can that assistant coach, if he went to HS coaches he must know he's going to get the axe.

Apr 20, 2015
Goals...what are your players goals. If their goal is to play in college keep teaching them all the right things. If they just want to be high school players then do what you need to do to get them there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The only real "dilemma" is whether to keep your AC, and perhaps move to a new school district.

Regarding the HS coach...flush that conversation and do what you think best. Smile and wave whenever you see the idiot(s), and avoid any more softball talks.

Jun 4, 2019
I’d let them worry about Hs when they get to Hs. I’m sure playing in Hs is important for girls playing this sport, so I think things will work out.

As a Hs coach, Im not a pitching coach. I expect pitchers to have a pitching coach for mechanics and to throw hard and change speeds when they play for me. When your girls show up as 9th graders and are smashing the ball by using their lower body, and throwing hard, he will come around.

Or he’ll be a fool and he won’t.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2016
I can relate to where you are coming from. I came from large power school and playing D1 to DD going to a 3A small town community. Small town politics is a real thing, and it kills me to see coaches who play who they know vs the best.

If i were in your shoes I would want to tell me AC to kick rocks and keep his mouth shut, but knowing that he/she is tied into the HS program that move will only hurt you. This person is kissing @$$ to gain their daughter playing time plain and simple.

Going to the AD in a small town is almost just as fruitless as this person usually has a strong relationship with the coaches (who usually teach) and pry have connections going way back. In these situations records or success mean nothing. Just having someone in the role is enough.

I truly feel for you because there is not much you can do. Obviously the AC agrees with the head coach or has had his/her DD working with someone associated with the team to know that there was differences to begin with.

One thing no one has asked yet though and this is HUGE is are you coaching your DD? Is your DD going to play for her later on? If the answer is NO to all of those i would do the following in this order:

find a new facility no matter what it takes
tell the head coach to pound sand, and she can take her outdated coaching styles back to D3 in the 80's, if she doesn't like it too bad.
Tell your AC and his/her DD to kick rocks and hit the road you are trying to make better athletes and the last thing you need on the team is people undermining what you coach and taking time from that for small town ball.

If your DD does play for you and will play for her also
keep coaching EXACTLY HOW YOU HAVE BEEN
Tell the head coach you appreciate her suggestions and that you will work on meeting them
Hold a tryouts for spring ball and cut the AC's DD

Nov 16, 2015
I can relate to where you are coming from. I came from large power school and playing D1 to DD going to a 3A small town community. Small
Hold a tryouts for spring ball and cut the AC's DD

I actually agree with most of this. Why punish the AC's DD? What has she done to deserve to be cut?

Oct 4, 2018
I would be more irritated with the assistant coach that ratted you out. I would deal with that directly.

Just ignore the high school coach and teach the best methods (practices) that you know.

The rest will work itself out.

Yeah, that AC sucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802