Coaching Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
I would be more irritated with the assistant coach that ratted you out. I would deal with that directly.

Just ignore the high school coach and teach the best methods (practices) that you know.

The rest will work itself out.
I would go further, definitely have to can the AC. if they wee concerned about a conflict between what you teach and what HS wants, they should have come to you first. If after that they went to HS HC, so be it, but can them, now, by text, tell them they are no longer needed. if they have a DD on team, DD is still welcome, but must listen to what you are teaching (or try to at least ;))

May 20, 2016
My advice would be the same advice i give to my DD when random people think they are great coaches.

I tell her "Smile and nod encouragingly, and ignore everything they say". It's worked wonders for her and we get a good chuckle out of some of it on our rides home.

Mar 7, 2016
I actually agree with most of this. Why punish the AC's DD? What has she done to deserve to be cut?

Do you think after hearing her soon to be HS coach instruct her one way she will be a coach able kid when you are teaching her otherwise? Especially with her AC dad in the background every time you walk away telling her another thing.

some times its not the players its the families attached to them that warrant a change.

Nov 29, 2009
You never mention just how small the HS is. It sounds like you're in a very small rural area with limited options for winter practice facilities. The HS coach knows this and seems to be of the opinion she "Owns" the kids softball lives from 8th grade on. Your AC also knows what the HS coach's thought processes are and is kissing her backside preemptively to make sure his/her kid gets playing time in HS. Small town politics at its finest.

You said your team plays in a league. Are there any realistic possibilities of the girls on your team to be recruited to play in college and at what level? Is there any way you can move your team to playing full time travel ball? Would your parents be willing to make the time and money commitments?

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Was the meeting with the HS coach tense? Did he come off aggressive and as a dictator or was the conversation more of a "this is how I coach I would like if you could please teach the players this way" sort of vibe?

I am not a "smile and nod" guy when it comes to disrespectful and arrogant people. The audacity of this coach to tell a non-school affiliated coach/team how to coach is really bothering me.

I would ask you this, would you even want your daughter to play for a "coach" like this? Would your daughter even want to play for a coach like this?

How small of a town are we talking here? Does he have some type of small town coach control over people/players? Do the parents like this guy? Is he/the team successful? Are there other options within a certain distance (travel)? Is starting a travel team (with player/parent buy in) as an alternative to a dictatorship HS coach an option?

Answers to all of these questions would determine how I would have responded but knowing me, my response would not have been a good one. A high school coach doesn't "call" for a meeting with a local rec/travel coach to tell them how to coach.

First thing first though, tell that AC they are no longer needed on your team.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
This is a tough situation, small town politics are not fun. My question is, what do the parents on your team think of your philosophy vs the HC's? May be worth having a parent meeting and discuss your way and why you think that way. Show them recent videos of what you want to teach and dig up some old VHS quality videos of what the HC wants. Educate your parents on the options and then let them tell you what they want.

No matter what, the AC needs to hit the road. You will never have control of your team with him around.

Mar 6, 2018
ACs that don’t buy in can kill a team. You all should have a common goal and work to achieve that goal with an open mind.

Communication with parents and players on your philosophy is key.

You owe the HS coach nothing. Find you another practice facility if possible.

You will never please everyone no matter what, so don’t even try. You will always have those who second guess your every move. Do what you believe is right, treat everyone fairy, and respectfully and you’ve done your part. Let the chips fall where they may.

Jan 28, 2017
Do what's best for your DD period. You are really the only one to know. Had a long talk with a really good guy last night, his daughter has D1 offers on the table at the moment. The thing that really stuck out to me was that he said, you have to be a little selfish in this scholarship deal and softball. We talked during a volleyball game and he was laughing and said, I'm just here to make sure she doesn't get hurt.

Apr 16, 2013
Kinda what Tango said ^^^. My DD doesn't play HS softball and her team basically isn't going to this next season. It brings their play level DOWN. Do what's right by the girls and your DD then forget it. Any girl that wants to play at a higher level in college ball will be harmed by his/her teachings! HS matters absolutely ZERO in her development. My DD couldn't even imagine playing in any of the local HS teams. We all can't be lucky enough to have a HS coach like cannon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45