Coaching 3rd... Really do u need to try to get into a 10U pitchers head??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
First, I am a coach who wants to win just as much as the next coach, but I want to win because my players out perform the other team. I never want anything I do as a coach to affect the other teams performance, instead I want to coach my team not find ways I can upset the other teams players.

Situation:

10U Tournament Level Softball

We have faced this team in previous tournaments and not only am I annoyed with this teams coach, but other 10U coaches have also made comments to me about this coaches antics when coaching 3rd base....

What is your opinion?

Coach is on 3rd, gives batter signals and little words of advise (I have no problem with that!!)

Player steps into batters box.
Pitcher steps onto pitching rubber...

Coach on 3rd base starts again giving advise to batter such as saying:
3 balls 1 strike - 3 ball, remember it has to be perfect
2 strikes - hit it over the fence like you did last week
1 ball - 1 ball, don't swing if it is high or low
etc....

I get saying these things if you want before the pitcher is starting her motion, but it just seems like he is trying to get in a 10U pitchers head with some of his comments.

And he is loud, and clapping his hands etc... while he is shouting these comments while the pitcher is pitching.

My pitcher kept looking over at him after the pitch, so I went out and told her in a loud enough voice so that he could hear to ignore all the annoying sounds coming from the 3rd base coach when she is pitching, hoping he would realize that what a grown man was doing at a 10U game, in my opinion was just uncalled for.

I get teams cheering to throw the pitcher off, but as a coach, my job is to coach my team, not try to get into the heads of the other teams players. I leave that up to my players hitting, fielding, striking out the players.

Just wanted to know if there are individuals that can defend this behavior and what you would do in this situation?

(In my head, I wanted my catcher to throw down to 3rd, but accidentally miss the base by 5 feet towards the 3rd base coaches box when he was least expecting it.... Or have my players in the outfield throw in the ball in between innings right into the back of his head on accident.... plus a lot of other ideas I had... And I am not normally a vengeful person, but my players are like my kids and I will stick up for them especially against an adult coach feeling the need to try to distract my players.)

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2010
I think it is bush league. I also think it is bush league for a coach to allow their players to yell and scream (cheers or not) during a pitcher's motion.

In baseball I had an opposing 3rd base coach whistle loudly during a pitcher's windup...this was at 10/11.

Jul 19, 2008
I dont think it is any worse than having your catcher jaw with or at the batter. There are alot on here that think that doing that is great and funny, but is no better than the yelling or cheering to distract pitchers.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
To me it sounds like I would have to be there to see if it was annoying. The items you list are "constructive" for HIS batter. You don't mention that he is saying stuff like "Don't swing because the pitcher can't throw a strike" or "Swing hard because this pitcher stinks!" He is just giving instructions to his batter based on the count and at 10U sometimes they need to be reminded... but again the clapping you mention and volume of timing of it all might be more annoying in person so I think it is one of those "you have to be there" situations.

Sep 3, 2009
We have coaches around the city that do this same thing. Why not train your pitchers to work through noise, and tune them out? Get them so focused on what they're doing, that everything is just white noise? Then beat the piss out of them, and make a point to let them know that Busch league don't work.

Feb 3, 2011
I realize that 10u isn't nearly as competitive in many other places as it is here, but I'm not seeing any major offense either. I'll give my batters signs, but they know their job when they're at the plate, so they don't need a ton of instruction. Between pitches, I might say something like 'remember the count!' or 'if it's close, you crush it!' and might even point to the gap in left-center. My communication with my players has nothing to do with the other team, though. Part of my job is to teach my players how to play a winning brand of softball and being aggressive at the plate is an integral part of the batting philosophy I teach.

Regarding game noise, in general, I see softball as a sport where it's just not reasonable to expect silence or 'polite' cheering. Our league doesn't allow what are termed as 'negative cheers' and we coaches are responsible for enforcing that. When our dugout is quiet, though, I'm not happy, because it means our energy level is too low. When the fans and players on both sides are engaged in the game, it tends to be a lot more fun for everyone.

We're only one small league here in NorCal, but that has been my experience and the one time I was 'quiet' all season in response to Team Mom's (aka my daughter's mom) complaint, we lost the game. Afterwards, one of the dads said, "These girls feed off your energy, Coach - you weren't yourself today and they didn't swing their bats like they normally do". Never had that problem again all season. :)

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
We were in a tournament this weekend where the coaches (and some of the parents) of an opposing team were known for making comments and trying to get on the girls. Fortunately we had warning from one of the other coaches. So I called our girls together and told them if anyone makes a comment toward them, just think of how pathetic it is that an adult has to make him/herself feel important by putting down a 13 or 14 year old girl. That pretty much put it in perspective for them.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
I believe the softball PLAYERS should be cheering on their teammates....

I agree a coach should give confidence boosting comments to their players, instructions/coaching when they are at the plate if needed, and can make any comment they want when instructing their players (within reason obviously) before the player steps into the batters box.

The 3rd base coach should say what they need to, to help get their player on base when giving signals etc... (before the player steps into the batters box)

My issue, was he would give signals, give coaching advise when the hitter was out of the box, but after that is it necessary to ramble on and on during the pitch with the intention of distracting the pitcher or players on the field....

Of course I want my pitchers to learn to block out noises etc... My question is the behavior of an Adult Coach at a 10U game... I don't even think this would be appropriate at any age or level game to be honest with you. You don't see Mike Candrea yelling out to his batters after giving signals, when the pitcher is pitching in order to try to distract the pitcher or players...

But I guess some will go to what ever level they need to in order to try to win a game.

I want to win because I taught my players the game and find no need for ME (the adult, the role model) to try to distract the players on the other team. And I don't think any other ADULT at a YOUTH game should either.

What is the best way to handle the situation is my question? I am not a vengeful person, so saying do the same back is not the way I roll... I want to be a positive role model for not only my team but the other team as well!!

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
We were in a tournament this weekend where the coaches (and some of the parents) of an opposing team were known for making comments and trying to get on the girls. Fortunately we had warning from one of the other coaches. So I called our girls together and told them if anyone makes a comment toward them, just think of how pathetic it is that an adult has to make him/herself feel important by putting down a 13 or 14 year old girl. That pretty much put it in perspective for them.

Do you know if there are any rules in place that holds coaches accountable for their tactics if they are inappropriate? Or if umpires have the ability to warn a coach for their behaviors?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g