Coaches promoting mental health

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sportpsych_consultant

performance consultant
Dec 19, 2015
Orange County, CA
I'm a sport and performance psychology consultant and I work with athletes, coaches, and professionals to build their mental strengths relating to sport and performance (self-esteem, resilience, concentration, emotional control, performance anxiety, etc.). Right now I am supposed to be writing a proposal to a coach that does not "believe in psychology or it's place in sport". I was hired by a softball organization to work with several teams and athletes but there are some coaches that do not want my help. As a psychology professional I value mental health in all domains, not just sport. It is my belief that all young athletes should have the opportunity to work with me and not be shielded by their coach that doesn't believe in my field. The game of softball is an incredibly mental game and I do not understand why a coach would be against this resource. I think that someone that made up their mind about performance psychology professionals is not likely to change it. What do you guys think?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm a sport and performance psychology consultant and I work with athletes, coaches, and professionals to build their mental strengths relating to sport and performance (self-esteem, resilience, concentration, emotional control, performance anxiety, etc.). Right now I am supposed to be writing a proposal to a coach that does not "believe in psychology or it's place in sport". I was hired by a softball organization to work with several teams and athletes but there are some coaches that do not want my help. As a psychology professional I value mental health in all domains, not just sport. It is my belief that all young athletes should have the opportunity to work with me and not be shielded by their coach that doesn't believe in my field. The game of softball is an incredibly mental game and I do not understand why a coach would be against this resource. I think that someone that made up their mind about performance psychology professionals is not likely to change it. What do you guys think?

I'm sure many of your professional colleagues practicing in more traditional fields will remind you that there are many in society that do not believe in your field. Softball coaches are just a microcosm of society and proof exists in numerous DFP forums that some are close minded about more than just sport and performance psychology!

Good luck with those that are willing to give it a try!

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
Yes like rdb says, Find some examples of success in D1, MLB or other programs. Give some actual game examples and instances where you've made a difference.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes