Coaches Calling Pitches - What system do you use?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm trying to find simple signals to call pitches to catchers during a game.

Signals to indicate what pitch to call and its location.

Something simple for 12U or 14U to understand and that be called from the dugout to the catcher.

I'm curious to see what others use for this. Something creative but yet simple to remember.

What kind of system do you use?

Coach Marc

Aug 16, 2010
1 fastball, 2 curveball, 3 dropball, 4 screw, 5 change. Divide plate into 3 sections: 1-inside to rh hitter; 2-middle; 3-outside to rh hitter; closed fist at end of sequence means off of plate (no closed fist at end of sequence means I want pitch thrown for strike in called location); thumb out - high out of zone, pinky out - low out of zone.

So: if I call 1, 1, thumb out = fastball inside high on rh hitter
3, 3, fist, pinky = dropball down and away off of plate to rh hitter

WE AVOID the 1,2 at all costs!!!

Nov 1, 2009
We use a number sequence similar to the one above. We have four locations odd numbers in on the batter even out on the batter. Low numbers are low and high number are high. Consequently a 1,1 would be a fastball low and inside. 2,1 would be a fastball low and outside. We go location then pitch. We also integrate a fist to initiate the first set of numbers that mean anything and second set to dictate speed we want the pitch to hit the plate. Usually we have three speeds, 75%, 85% and 100% of the pitchers top speed. This gives them three meaningful numbers to identify and usually five to six total to throw off the teams trying to steal signs.

Jul 26, 2010
Every pitch should be taught with multiple speeds. I think 75% 85% and 100% is a bit nuts, however, simply holding a fastball with one more finger or even putting just a little more skin on it will take some speed off, same for most of the other pitches. However, I think the pitcher should vary this on their own without needing coach interaction (but then what do I know, I think the catcher should call the games not the coach).

Hal Skinner's book has some great stuff in it for this type of thing and it isn't really that difficult. I think it falls into the "the kids aren't as stupid as we think they are" category. Timing is a better way to throw a batter off then location, mix the two and you have a winning combination.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd