Simple Pitch Calling Sign System?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
That's nice, in theory. Where you call for it, and where they throw it can vary. With one of the Ps on my DD's team, she calls for screw down the middle, and it will run inside to where my DD wants it. Call for that pitch inside, and you're most likely getting an HBP. Also, if the P is struggling, my DD will sometimes just call for fastballs down the middle, and hope they don't suddenly start hitting their target.
I understand not all pitchers can hit their spots. I can tell you as a coach though that if I have to start calling pitches down the middle because you can’t throw anything else for a strike then we are all in trouble that day and I better have someone warming up in the bullpen :)

One of the great myths of high level pitching is that they “hit their spots” all the time. That’s just not true. They work both sides of the plate and change speeds well, but they aren’t as pinpoint as some coaches would lead you to believe.

Oct 26, 2019
This is great. Thank you. Certainly makes things easier and actionable on my part.

Like I said, I'm learning this pitch calling thing as I go. Not ideal I know. I'm committed to doing it well even if that means getting someone else in the role. Unfortunately right now I don't have anyone ready to step in.

One follow up question, do you talk with your pitchers about what I call spray pattern or grouping patterns? So for example, when your pitcher is throwing to a particular location, what is the spray of the delivered pitch? Is it a tight group in that location? Or is it a large group in that location? If I have a pitcher that has a large spray pattern then I might ask her to think of outside as the entire outside half of the plate - including the river. If on the other hand I have a girl who can paint fairly well I might ask her to think of the outside as the fourth outside slice of the plate.

Am I overthinking it? I ask because I'm a competitive USPSA shooter and use this concept quite often to make quick decisions on the amount of energy I should put into the aiming process. 20 yard freestanding pistol shot with a large spray pattern? Settle in and make that shot. 5 yard freestanding pistol shot with a large spray pattern? Let it rip.
I would t get that detailed into it. I would emphasize working both sides of the plate and changing speeds. A pitcher must also pitch to her strengths. If they don’t throw hard then they will want to keep it low. Faster pitchers may want to throw up in the zone more. The goal of a pitcher should be to make them hit “your pitch” (whatever that may be).

May 7, 2008
One parent of a pitcher asked me after the game ( irritated of course) "why are you calling her rise ball so much ". I showed them the pitch call chart I use.... drop drop fast drop fast drop drop - ---- no rises. Maybe I should have called the rise to get it in at the knees...

Every college coach I ask begs for a pitcher who can throw any 1 pitch to a location. I have kids coming to me saying they have 8 pitches and look at me with a blank face when I ask which one is "low and inside". 14B... you best call left, right and Chngeup, and pray for a result. I sometimes pitch calling has a lower success rate than Las Vegas

Oct 4, 2020
I had one pitcher that I realized a couple games in I was just going through the motions. It didn't matter what I called she didn't know where the ball was going. Surprisingly enough she didn't walk a lot of girls... but ri
Yes, this is what I'm experiencing with my pitchers. It's why I brought up "spray pattern" or "Margin of error". Have started to think that even though I may want down and out, i may get down the middle. And if I call down the middle, I may get down and out. So, I think I've learned now from this group I need to simplify quite a bit what I call a nd, as important, really put some thinking in to when I might call something. It might be good to think theoretically that I will never call something down the middle, but if I'm calling pitches that a pitcher just cannot reliably hit then its self defeating. Maybe I stick to middle, out, and in when it comes to location.

Oct 4, 2020
That's nice, in theory. Where you call for it, and where they throw it can vary. With one of the Ps on my DD's team, she calls for screw down the middle, and it will run inside to where my DD wants it. Call for that pitch inside, and you're most likely getting an HBP. Also, if the P is struggling, my DD will sometimes just call for fastballs down the middle, and hope they don't suddenly start hitting their target.
Yes. This exactly. I'm new to pitch calling but this has been my experience - as limited as it has been.

Oct 4, 2020
If you have a decent college program in your area, ask one of the catchers to come to a team practice or 2, and during live pitching or simulated games you can ask them to help the catcher on what to call and when. Then all of you (pitcher, catcher, coach and college player) discuss sequences, why a certain pitch is called at certain times, etc. While you're at it, see if the school has a sports psych dept. See if some of the seniors will come work with your team on sports psych, letting them apply what they've learned with a real team and real athletes. Offer some college kid $20 come down, they'll jump at it.
This is actually a really great idea. We have a local D3 just down the road. I'll have to do some exploring. Thanks for the idea!

Oct 4, 2020
I would t get that detailed into it. I would emphasize working both sides of the plate and changing speeds. A pitcher must also pitch to her strengths. If they don’t throw hard then they will want to keep it low. Faster pitchers may want to throw up in the zone more. The goal of a pitcher should be to make them hit “your pitch” (whatever that may be).
Can do, will do. As silly as I thought when I was typing this question up, all the responses have really taught me a few things. Thanks to all. I've landed on the simple number system as mentioned above with a few tweaks. I'll stick to in/out...I love the default low on the out call so will adopt that as well. Makes things super simple. Depending on count, I'll also ask my Catcher to inch out/in (but not ask for the corner to be sliced with the ball - margin for error is too small for these girls right now) when setting up. I think I can get this done with some simple finger flashes and maybe a thigh tap on either side. Again, thanks all.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think I can get this done with some simple finger flashes and maybe a thigh tap on either side. Again, thanks all.
You also have to learn the mental side of pitch calling. SO:

1. If the batter strikes out, it was because of your brilliant pitch calling.
2. If the batter hits a home run...then the pitcher, obviously, made a mistake.

Jun 8, 2016
You also have to learn the mental side of pitch calling. SO:

1. If the batter strikes out, it was because of your brilliant pitch calling.
2. If the batter hits a home run...then the pitcher, obviously, made a mistake.
You are almost as cynical as I am...almost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598