Simple Pitch Calling Sign System?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2020
Hi everyone, I've been "promoted" to head coach of a local 14U B team. We'll be implementing a wristband system shortly but I need a simple sign system for our early fall games. What system do you use to relay pitch and location?

Oct 4, 2020
What are you trying to accomplish?

Defensive shifts or just P and C letting you call pitches from dugout?
I have the rest of the D stuff covered. It's just the pitch calling stuff. Have never called pitches before so am looking for something simple until we get these wristbands up and running. I guess there is finger flashing for pitch, its location that I'm not sure about when you start looking at a 9 location approach. Does that make sense?

Oct 26, 2019
You could always let the catcher call them and then you don’t have to worry about it :) The 9 pitch location thing is kinda new to me and I pitched at a fairly high level. I teach my pitchers that inside means inside and outside means down. I can’t think of a time I would ever want to throw it down the middle so that eliminates 3 of the 9 zones. I also can’t imagine throwing anything Middle out.

in short - keep it simple: If they can throw it inside when you call inside and outside when you call outside you will really be onto something.

Oct 4, 2020
I teach my pitchers that inside means inside and outside means down. I can’t think of a time I would ever want to throw it down the middle so that eliminates 3 of the 9 zones.
This is great. Thank you. Certainly makes things easier and actionable on my part.

Like I said, I'm learning this pitch calling thing as I go. Not ideal I know. I'm committed to doing it well even if that means getting someone else in the role. Unfortunately right now I don't have anyone ready to step in.

One follow up question, do you talk with your pitchers about what I call spray pattern or grouping patterns? So for example, when your pitcher is throwing to a particular location, what is the spray of the delivered pitch? Is it a tight group in that location? Or is it a large group in that location? If I have a pitcher that has a large spray pattern then I might ask her to think of outside as the entire outside half of the plate - including the river. If on the other hand I have a girl who can paint fairly well I might ask her to think of the outside as the fourth outside slice of the plate.

Am I overthinking it? I ask because I'm a competitive USPSA shooter and use this concept quite often to make quick decisions on the amount of energy I should put into the aiming process. 20 yard freestanding pistol shot with a large spray pattern? Settle in and make that shot. 5 yard freestanding pistol shot with a large spray pattern? Let it rip.

Oct 7, 2015
From my experience coaching a 14B team I think you may be overthinking it. If they can hit the correct side of the plate more than 60% you're doing good. I had one pitcher that I realized a couple games in I was just going through the motions. It didn't matter what I called she didn't know where the ball was going. Surprisingly enough she didn't walk a lot of girls... but right down the middle was quite common.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
With DD’s team (12u C/B) we came up with a two number system.

First was pitch (1 = fastball, 2 = change up) then zone (1 = inside high, 2 = inside low, 3 = outside low, 4 = outside high). It was communicated via the catcher.

For the most part we let the catcher and pitcher call the games. If our pitchers could hit the “zone” on command we considered it a win. And we let them try to decide how inside/outside as they were able.

But definitely wasn’t uncommon to have an inside call end up outside. Such is learning.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I can’t think of a time I would ever want to throw it down the middle so that eliminates 3 of the 9 zones.

That's nice, in theory. Where you call for it, and where they throw it can vary. With one of the Ps on my DD's team, she calls for screw down the middle, and it will run inside to where my DD wants it. Call for that pitch inside, and you're most likely getting an HBP. Also, if the P is struggling, my DD will sometimes just call for fastballs down the middle, and hope they don't suddenly start hitting their target.

Aug 21, 2008
If you have a decent college program in your area, ask one of the catchers to come to a team practice or 2, and during live pitching or simulated games you can ask them to help the catcher on what to call and when. Then all of you (pitcher, catcher, coach and college player) discuss sequences, why a certain pitch is called at certain times, etc. While you're at it, see if the school has a sports psych dept. See if some of the seniors will come work with your team on sports psych, letting them apply what they've learned with a real team and real athletes. Offer some college kid $20 come down, they'll jump at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23