Coached against

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I got offered a winterball team and my dd is already on a established winterball team. So the president is asking me to come out of retirement and help out and take a team because they are short coaches.

Has anyone ever coached against your own dd? Not sure pro and cons. Smack talking will happen at the house. That's inevitable.

Last edited:

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
I got offered a winterball team and my dd is already on a established winterball team. So the president is asking me to come out of retirement and help out and take a team because they are short coaches.

Has anyone ever coached against your own dd? No sure pro and cons. Smack talking will happen at the house. That's inevitable.

Coached against my own daughter this year. Gave her a couple pitches where I knew she wanted them, and then we picked her off at 1st.. :p

Jun 1, 2013
That's a hard one. When you take on that team your responsibility is to them. Your team is tied against your dd team and your DD comes to the plate with a runner on 3rd and 2 outs. You know she can't hit a curve because you have worked on it for years, you know all her weaknesses at the plate. Do you throw something she can hit so she can drive in the run and be the hero or do you strike her out? The answer to that question is the ultimate answer to if you should Coach the game against your dd.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Your team is tied against your dd team and your DD comes to the plate with a runner on 3rd and 2 outs. You know she can't hit a curve because you have worked on it for years, you know all her weaknesses at the plate. Do you throw something she can hit so she can drive in the run and be the hero or do you strike her out? The answer to that question is the ultimate answer to if you should Coach the game against your dd.

Oh thats easy

NO Mercy!

Sep 29, 2014
Oh thats easy

NO Mercy!

Exactly...to me I just would not do it because of the time suck. Her games and practices and your games and practices. I guess if she drives it help but it still means time spent apart you could be together or extra hours at the field as one of you waits on the other. I would probably just pass.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
If your relationship is in a place where you can talk smack about it Im betting itd be ok. Sounds like your dd would think it was fun in the short term.

And in that situation Id call her favorite pitch and tell no one lol. Just go OOPS when she cranks it :)

Jan 31, 2011
I avoided that situation this year. I took over as HC of a local HS. DD#2 was a senior at a different HS. My team is a smaller classification, DDs is the highest (Iowa 2A & 5A) so were not in the same classification. Historically, these two teams played every year at least once. I told my AD nothing good will come of me playing against my DD. She is a great ball player, but I know how to pitch to her. I know her weaknesses (and about 3/4 of the rest of the team too). In the end, I avoided playing her as I had nothing to prove... Maybe we'll play that school next year when she's in college.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13