Coach Won't Let Kid Do What She Can Do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
As some of you know I posted about how my DD was told she can't pitch by numerous coaches in the past. So, we hired a very experienced qualified pitching coach for what seems now to be the long term. Things are going very well. She throws harder than ever, is as accurate as anyone in the program, can hit spots as well as anyone in the program, and can throw a semi-decent 12-year old drop and screwball.

We get to the first scrimmage of the season last week (haven't played a game yet) and my daughter is told she can't throw any movement pitches that she spent the whole offseason learning in addition to a complete tear down and rebuild of her pitching motion, etc. The concept in my mind of her learning those pitches was to give her some more confidence on the mound and to give her something else to throw at batters. See my 12U DD has the disadvantage of being one of the smaller kids. She's a late bloomer. Her sister was as well. So, she doesn't throw the major heat that some of the other girls do and if she misses with a "fastball" she's going to get shelled just like she did last year. The other pitches give her a different look. I catch her, I know. I'm not claiming great movement either (like that 2' thing I read on her a couple of weeks ago) but it's enough to perhaps prevent some developing batters to not hit her so hard like they did last year. I face facts she was pitching batting practice last year.

A few other facts.

1. My DD is the ONLY experienced pitcher on this team.
2. My wife asked about this already after practice. This is how I found out about the issue. My wife was told she cannot throw anything else until she "mastered" the change-up and fastball. And the coach has a friend in High School who only throws those two pitches and does fine.

So, I'm wondering what I'm supposed to do here and it's two fold what the coach is doing.

1. She's taking away my daughter's fun. It's fun for her to throw the other pitches her pitching coach has taught her and frankly at 12U "B" it should all be about fun.
2. The coach is a first year ever coaching travel softball coach while the pitching coach is a 15 year vet. I've told the coach that she has a pitching coach and if there were any problems to talk to me. Here's a problem and she IGNORED my wishes.

So, I think I'm going to fight this but I wanted some advice on what to say, do. I've observed the league rule 24-hour rule and now intend to send an email indicating I want a face-to-face meeting. After that I could escalate it to the board if I need to although I hope it doesn't go that far.

Jul 26, 2010
My guess is that if the kid is throwing that slow the coach wont' even realize what pitch she's actually throwing. Have her call her own game and throw what she wants next time, and see what happens. Just have her tell the coach it was her fastball.

-W

May 25, 2010
We get to the first scrimmage of the season last week (haven't played a game yet) and my daughter is told she can't throw any movement pitches that she spent the whole offseason learning in addition to a complete tear down and rebuild of her pitching motion, etc.

Simmer down.

The first scrimmage isn't show off time for Daddy who's spent the entire off-season working to improve his DD's pitching skill set. At least let her get her cleats a little dusty before you start demanding this and that. If she's still being told the same stuff 25-30 games into the season, then maybe you'll have a case, but right now, you don't need to give a FIRST-YEAR coach too much else to think about at a time when she's merely trying to figure out her personnel and manage all the other things that come with working with a new team.

Apr 13, 2010
This has nothing to do with me. This has everything to do with her. I didn't work to improve her skill set, she did. I just hired the coach and sat on a bucket catching balls and keeping my mouth shut. Her pitching coach says she should be able to throw what she wants. I don't see how this adds to this coaches think process. In fact in my mind the coach made it an issue, not us.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree with Screwby-doobee-doo that she should do what the coach asks.

Generally, IMHO, coaches shouldn't get involved in calling games, but should teach the pitcher and catcher how to call a game.

Apr 13, 2010
The Diva comments are hilarious considering this is the kid that was told by 3 coaches now that she can't pitch. So, she goes out and learns and now their telling her the same thing.

Passed balls is a cop out argument. Passed balls are going to happen no matter what and considering there are not other pitchers on the team and my kids one of those kids that throws perfect batting practice cause she hits the strike zone I don't see the issue there.

The issue IMO is the invalidation of everything that she's worked on.

I have no interest in calling a game. Never have and I'm willing to bet never will. I know one dad who did that last year.............not sure what happened to him.

This is when you boil it down a glorified rec team that's going to lose a lot of games. I don't see how it's going to help her development not being able to use what she's learned now and practice it. When is she ever going to get the chance if not now?

May 25, 2010
This has nothing to do with me. This has everything to do with her. I didn't work to improve her skill set, she did. I just hired the coach and sat on a bucket catching balls and keeping my mouth shut. Her pitching coach says she should be able to throw what she wants. I don't see how this adds to this coaches think process. In fact in my mind the coach made it an issue, not us.

The Diva comments are hilarious considering this is the kid that was told by 3 coaches now that she can't pitch. So, she goes out and learns and now their telling her the same thing.

Passed balls is a cop out argument. Passed balls are going to happen no matter what and considering there are not other pitchers on the team and my kids one of those kids that throws perfect batting practice cause she hits the strike zone I don't see the issue there.

The issue IMO is the invalidation of everything that she's worked on.

I have no interest in calling a game. Never have and I'm willing to bet never will. I know one dad who did that last year.............not sure what happened to him.

This is when you boil it down a glorified rec team that's going to lose a lot of games. I don't see how it's going to help her development not being able to use what she's learned now and practice it. When is she ever going to get the chance if not now?

Little picture, big picture. Right now, the individual goals you have for your daughter do not mesh with the team goals the coach has for her program. Again, at this point in the season, you have absolutely no case. Being crazy does not equate to having a legitimate argument. The coach needs to be allowed the time to watch your pitcher's progression. Moreover, there's really no advantage to be gained by showing all her cards right now. You're overreacting because of what's happened in the past with other people instead of taking this new situation at face value. The coach has expressed what her desires are for right now. What she wants may be completely different in 2-3 weeks from now. It's not at all unusual for a coach to not ask pitchers to show their entire arsenal in April or May. If you influence your DD with YOUR impatience, you'll be doing her a tremendous disservice. And if readers here who don't even know you can sense your disappointment, I strongly suspect she knows it as well. You've got to accept that a season is a process.

Apr 13, 2010
That would all make sense if this were a club ball team, heck maybe..........maybe.........even "A" ball. With this team being what it is the team has a lot more problems for the coach to address than what my daughter throws or that she hasn't mastered any pitches at 12.

I understand what you're telling me though and I do appreciate it.

Oh, and for the record.

1. The coach never explained to my daughter why she couldn't throw those pitches. My wife had to ask.
2. The coaches response (according to what I can gleam from my wife) is my daughter CAN'T THROW THOSE PITCHES. Not that she has her reasons for not wanting her to.
3. I've always told my kids that they need to listen to the adult. In this case I've told my DD that she needs to do whatever the coach tells her to.

For once I'd like an inseason coach to tell my daughter she can do something instead of the opposite.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2009
CT
Not sure at 12 years old how effective either a drop or screwball would really be, especially if she is small for her age. Tough to get enough wrist action to make the ball really move.

I would tend to agree with the coach that at her age, her best bet is to work on her speed, and to really master her C/U. If she can hide it well and throw it for a strike, it will be a much better weapon than either her drop or screwball. At that level, hitting spots and changing speeds is much more effective than movement pitches that don't really move.
Also, if she doesn't have a two-seam FB, you might want to have her work on that...it will give her FB a little movement with no difference in her release.

Having said that, if you are set on it, you may just want to approach the coach calmly and rationally, and explain to her that your DD is working on these pitches, and request that when the game situation permits (blowout game, or 0-2 count with nobody on base, etc.) that your DD get the chance to work those pitches in, to see how she throws them in a game situation. I don't think that is an unreasonable request.

Then have your DD keep practicing them, and warming them up pregame, so that when she does get the chance to throw it, she is ready. Maybe after the coach sees her throw them, she'll have the confidence to start calling them more often.

IMO her coach does make a valid statement with just throwing fb's and cu's. Especially for a fairly new pitcher at 12u. I wouldn't 'make' it an issue with the coach. Your DD hasn't proved to anyone what her 'game skills' are yet. Instead try this approach....have your DD do what her coach wants with just pitching fb's and cu's. If her pitching skills are that good then she will have no problem pitching very good quality games with just these 2 pitches. If she gives up a few hits is it that bad if the defense behind her has to make some plays??!! While this is happening you can simply/quetly enjoy watching her play instead of getting all miffed that this newbie coach won't let her pitch anything else. After a few outings of consistant quality pitching I'm sure introducing new pitches won't be an issue. DD has to learn/prove to walk before she can run....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes