Coach Won't Let Kid Do What She Can Do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
EP Dad,

I know it’s difficult to watch this happen; it IS your DD and you HAVE spent a lot of time and money to help your DD get ready to pitch.

My suggestion is to have your DD continue learning to pitch and do her best for her coach and ONE DAY she will get her chance.

We had a similar situation when my DD first started playing softball; the first year she played (11 years old) DD decided that she wanted to pitch and started practicing on her own, but Coach (whose DD was #1 pitcher) told her that she wouldn’t pitch because she didn’t have a pitching coach; that winter we found her a pitching coach who helped DD develop a fastball and change up. The next season DD ended up on this same coaches team and was told that she wouldn’t pitch because she wasn’t fast enough nor does she have any movement (again, coaches DD was #1). DD was horrified! She said “Dad, I pitch better than her, why am I not pitching?”. Her mother and I both told her to play hard, keep pitching and one day she would be in the circle.

Fast forward 3 years…

My DD is a sophomore and is the starting pitcher on her HS Varsity softball team for the 2nd year. This year she led her team to an undefeated season in League, ranking 2nd in the section for playoffs. Once the HS season is done, she is in a 3 pitcher rotation on a well known 18 Gold softball team.

Where is her first coach and his DD this year? She is the starting pitcher on the HS JV softball team (Daddy hates watching the games because his DD is way too good). The HS season is over for her now and she will start practicing with her 16U (B) summer team next week.

What goes around, comes around.

If your DD REALLY wants to pitch and has the physical and mental ability, she WILL be successful. It just might take a little bit of time…

Good luck and try to have some fun :)

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I would tend to agree with the coach that your DD should work on her FB/CU at 12U. The most important thing at this age is to master the mechanics, locate pitches, not be afraid to "pitch to contact", and learn to trust your teammates behind you. You can't expect to SO every hitter - it is the rare kid that gets double digit SO's in a TB game unless they are playing at the wrong level (which happens ALOT).

We have a pitching instructor in our area that has many parents convinced that their DDs (from 9 to 14 yo) have 7 pitches within a few months of starting with him. None of those pitchers have managed to master any of those pitches and can throw none of them for strikes in a consistent fashion. It may sound good that DD is learning all these pitches at a young age, but the reality is that "most" young pitchers should to master the mechanics of FB/CU before moving on to other pitches. Those two pitches will take you a long way in 12U.

Apr 13, 2010
Pitch to contact. That's a great idea. Like last fall when she lost a game 23-1 and gave up 0 walks, and 3 earned runs. Or last Spring when she gave up probably half a dozen walks all Spring and lost every game.

I don't know why I didn't think of that.

May 25, 2010
Pitch to contact. That's a great idea. Like last fall when she lost a game 23-1 and gave up 0 walks, and 3 earned runs. Or last Spring when she gave up probably half a dozen walks all Spring and lost every game.

I don't know why I didn't think of that.
I know you're upset and I think many other parents have been in a similar boat, where we felt our DDs had been unjustly stuck on the worst team in history. You don't need me or anyone else to validate your feelings, but as hard as it is, you have to stay positive.

Last year, my wife made the choice to stay angry, because the team was losing and our DD was the superstar. To this day, I remain thankful for the fact that I was able to set a positive example for our child, but more importantly, DD was an amazing example to her teammates and PARENTS as to what a good teammate really is. Her mom still has not fully settled down, but our child and her team are having an awesome season this year, and her personality as a player is still the same. She wants the team to do well, and knows she cannot do it alone.

No one will deny how much fun it is to win and many of us will agree that being stuck on a losing team totally sucks, but the one thing I'll say for last year's coaches is that - despite the fact that they didn't get the girls in position to win games - 10 out of 12 girls on the roster came back to play softball this spring, albeit most on different teams.

Your daughter's team still has a chance to develop game skills between now and the June-July tournaments. If her team is committing that many errors per game, then they really do need to focus on defense and if they're only scoring a couple runs per game, then they've got to work on hitting, too. In other words, it sounds like your DD is doing her job and just needs the rest of the team to step up their game.

Let her focus on what she's doing and she'll do it well while allowing you to focus on the fact that every outing is an audition for a new team in the fall. :)

Jan 24, 2011
Pretty easy solution to this. If you believe your DD is being used up to her capabilities and you feel here coach is way off base , then start your own team and throw whatever you want. I have pitchers on my 12u team right now that go to private instructors and they (or their parents) say they can throw 4-5 different pitches. I never call those pitches because in reality , the only one that most of them can throw effectively are the Fastball and changeup (maybe the occasional drop , but rarely). I would much rather have a two pitch pitcher that can command all parts of the zone with those pitches than a pitcher than can "throw" numerous pitches.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
Pretty easy solution to this. If you believe your DD is being used up to her capabilities and you feel here coach is way off base , then start your own team and throw whatever you want. I have pitchers on my 12u team right now that go to private instructors and they (or their parents) say they can throw 4-5 different pitches. I never call those pitches because in reality , the only one that most of them can throw effectively are the Fastball and changeup (maybe the occasional drop , but rarely). I would much rather have a two pitch pitcher that can command all parts of the zone with those pitches than a pitcher than can "throw" numerous pitches.

Really?

In the other thread you said this:

I see this situation a little differently that most it seems. My 12u pitchers are just now beginning to really control their movement pitches and use them effectively. So , I do call the pitches for now. By me calling the pitches , I hope to use it as an example for my pitcher/catcher to teach them how to use the pitches in different situations in hopes that they will pick it up and be able to do this on their own later in the season and on into 14u.

So, which is it??

Jan 24, 2011
Really?

In the other thread you said this:

So, which is it??

What do you mean which is it? I call the pitches because the pitchers/catchers I have dont have the skills at this point to really know how to "pitch". They are basically just throwers and left up to them they would be trying to throw those pitches that they really dont know how to throw. We basically just use Fastball and changeup (occasional drop ball) and locate those pitches in all parts of the zone. I dont call those pitches that they (or their parents)say they can throw. I call what I know they can throw effectively. Games are not the time for them to work on new pitches. That is work to be done at home and at their lessons. I will give them a chance to show me the pitches , but if I decide they arent up to par , then I just dont allow them to throw them in practice or games.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
What do you mean which is it? I call the pitches because the pitchers/catchers I have dont have the skills at this point to really know how to "pitch". They are basically just throwers and left up to them they would be trying to throw those pitches that they really dont know how to throw. We basically just use Fastball and changeup (occasional drop ball) and locate those pitches in all parts of the zone. I dont call those pitches that they (or their parents)say they can throw. I call what I know they can throw effectively. Games are not the time for them to work on new pitches. That is work to be done at home and at their lessons. I will give them a chance to show me the pitches , but if I decide they arent up to par , then I just dont allow them to throw them in practice or games.

So, what does this mean then??

My 12u pitchers are just now beginning to really control their movement pitches and use them effectively. So , I do call the pitches for now.

What movement pitches? You're contradicting yourself.

Oct 25, 2009
If she has a fastball and a changeup and she can hit her spots and she pitches to "B" teams she should be able to keep the score below 23 runs.

She, or whoever is calling pitches, can be taught to throw to different spots, set the batter up for a change up, etc.

If she has no confidence in her defense then she may be thinking she needs to strike out every batter and may be throwing too many "strikes" instead of throwing "balls" that a batter may swing at.

Biggest problem I think I see here is no confidence (or no support) in the coach. Teaching that is worse than any other result you could want. Whatever you do don't make her think the rest of her team is below her.

Continue her lessons, support her team, support her coach and everything will work better.

Jan 24, 2011
Not contradicting myself ,but I see what you mean. The only pitcher I have that can throw a true "movement pitch" is my #1. She has a prettty good screwball and can command her drop ball as well. My other 3 pitchers go to the same instructor and believe they can throw those pitches as well. But , in reality , they dont throw them nearly well enough for those pitches to be called when pitching to live batters. So , since I call the pitches in games , I eliminate those pitches and only call FB/CU and locations for those girls. If they continue to practice those pitches and get a better grasp on them , I will let them show them to me in a side session. I then decide whether or not they will be allowed to use them. I use my own judgement and dont really take any input from what their instructor or parent says.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom