Coach/Parent Dilema

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Unfortunately, there is no option for reschedule. The league only plays on Wednesday nights for our age group with a DH each night. I believe that my assistant coaches would be fine running the team in my absence. It just doesn't feel right. I have only missed two games in my six years of coaching.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2011
Quake, I think you should ask your other coaches to fill in for you if possible. When my DD#1 was an 8th grader, we missed her first sophomore game in IA City because we were back home coaching our rec team. Half way through the game we got a text from her that she was pulled up to varsity due to an injury. We missed it. If we would have planned it out a little better, we had plenty of coaches to allow us to miss a couple of games.

You said its a league (East Moline I imagine?). This would give your assistants a chance to practice filling in for you in the event you ever had to miss a tourney on the weekends.

Best of luck to you and your team this spring/summer. I hope to see you around and put a face with a name...

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Pray for rain and lots of it.
LOL, I did that a lot last summer when DD was playing TB and AAU BB. Yes she often played in the morning for one sport and we'd jump in the car to head to the other.

It sounds like it's not the most important TB games you will play so go watch your kid play.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My question is do I go to the HS games also or stay with the TB team.

(1) How many TB games? If you are playing 80, then missing 2 games isn't a big deal. If you are playing 20, then it is.
(2) Is your DD really going to play? Going to a game to watch her sit on the bench doesn't sound like much fun.

Nov 29, 2009
Unfortunately, there is no option for reschedule. The league only plays on Wednesday nights for our age group with a DH each night. I believe that my assistant coaches would be fine running the team in my absence. It just doesn't feel right. I have only missed two games in my six years of coaching.

You mean to tell me that you can't make an adjustment to the schedule 5 months in advance???? Even if you located and secured the fields and did all the necessary leg work??? Can't you swap days with a different age group for the two days?

I really find that hard to believe that the coaches would be that inflexible. If you don't ask you'll never know.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
You mean to tell me that you can't make an adjustment to the schedule 5 months in advance???? Even if you located and secured the fields and did all the necessary leg work??? Can't you swap days with a different age group for the two days?

I really find that hard to believe that the coaches would be that inflexible. If you don't ask you'll never know.

No, there isn't a possibility for reschedule. Our night is our night, plus at this point I don't even know who we would be playing, not that that would matter. It isn't that the coaches are inflexible, that is just the way the league works.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
(1) How many TB games? If you are playing 80, then missing 2 games isn't a big deal. If you are playing 20, then it is.
(2) Is your DD really going to play? Going to a game to watch her sit on the bench doesn't sound like much fun.

We have 74 games scheduled for TB.

Yes, she is going to play AND pitch.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Quake, I think you should ask your other coaches to fill in for you if possible. When my DD#1 was an 8th grader, we missed her first sophomore game in IA City because we were back home coaching our rec team. Half way through the game we got a text from her that she was pulled up to varsity due to an injury. We missed it. If we would have planned it out a little better, we had plenty of coaches to allow us to miss a couple of games.

You said its a league (East Moline I imagine?). This would give your assistants a chance to practice filling in for you in the event you ever had to miss a tourney on the weekends.

Best of luck to you and your team this spring/summer. I hope to see you around and put a face with a name...

Yes, it is East Moline.

That was my fear...missing something. What if she throws her first no-hitter or hits her first HR? It would kill me to miss that. But I still do feel obligated to my team.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I say let your assistant coaches handle the TB games. Let them do the pre-game planning too. If you don't think they can handle it that is something you can work on until the time comes.