Coach/Parent Dilema

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Looking for some opinions on this issue that I will face in May.

I coach a 14U team and my DD is a pitcher in 8th grade. She will be pitching for her HS Sophomore team and our TB team this Spring/Summer. Our TB team plays in a league on Wednesdays. We just got the schedule for the HS team yesterday and they have games on the last two Wednesdays of our league play.

My DD will be going to the HS games. My question is do I go to the HS games also or stay with the TB team. This is going to be the only conflict with the game schedule all season.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Stay with your TB team and let DW go watch DD at those HS games. Unless they are HS playoff games, then let AC take TB team those 2 games.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Tough call. If AC is OK running the show and has some support go watch DD.

edit - though I will say that HS sports are a different animal that local/tb sports. At least they were when I was growing up. While mom or dad or both came to all my local BB games growing up, I don't recall them making any of my HS games which usually started soon after school ended that day.Maybe times have changed, my kids aren't in HS yet.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
I would say 'tough call' for me, too, but I already know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will NOT be coaching my DD in 14u. Or 12u. Or even 3rd-year 10u if this keeps up. lol

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Stay with your TB team and let DW go watch DD at those HS games. Unless they are HS playoff games, then let AC take TB team those 2 games.

This^^^^^. You made a commitment to the team, set a good example. And don't worry, your DD will have 4 more years of HS SB

Jun 22, 2008
When you accepted the coaching position you made a commitment to 9+ girls. If your daughter is only in 8th grade there will be plenty of future high school games for you to watch.

Nov 29, 2009
Our TB team plays in a league on Wednesdays. We just got the schedule for the HS team yesterday and they have games on the last two Wednesdays of our league play.

You are several months away from the conflict. Can you make arrangements to reschedule the TB games??? I bet if you called the coaches explaining your situation to them they may be able to help in both or one of the dates. The worst that could happen is they say "No" and you've lost nothing but a little time and effort. Most people are accommodating if given enough notice.

Jun 11, 2011
Seriously, not much thought in this one... I like the attempt to reschedule idea best and Yes, you've made a commitment to all the team however, If you somehow got ill and couldn't be there to coach would your team just forfeit ?? Don't think so. Hopefully you have enough trust and faith in your assistant coaches, and they know enough to run two games. (especially league games) Been in this position before (from asst coach position) due to coach being tossed, coach having to work, coach having other obligations and had no problem filling in. Have coached basketball and football and had my assistant fill in in league play and currently coaching an 18u team and would have no problem with my assistant filling in. :cool: