Coach making it sound like he is on opposing team yelling plays. 10-12

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2011
Tell me if I'm nuts. Curious, this is for 10-12 Girls fastpitch Majors. A 10yo girl is up to bat with 3 and 2. The final pitch is coming in way way outside. The opposing coach yells, "There's your pitch" just before the ball was coming in. Of course our girl didn't swing and took the walk. I made a comment that it was inappropriate to say that to our girls. Same girl on first. No one on second or third. The ball gets past the catcher and the runner heads for second. The catcher has the ball ready to throw when the runner is 80% to second. The coach yells, "Head for third". Once again, I said "OK coach, that's not nice" He yells back to me that he was talking to his own team. Then I got thinking, to his own team??? Why would he call an action to third base when the runner was stealing from 1st to 2nd. Normally the play returns the ball to the pitcher at this point.
Maybe a seasoned coach can answer if that would make any sense and in fact I was wrong about what his intentions were. Secondly, am I still wrong in that this is normal procedure in 10-12 and to be expected. Our town is a very small mid-west town with nice people and good ethics. This seemed out of place at least here. I know in some rougher areas this may be normal.
I am sure that I will run into him somewhere around town and it may come up. I would prefer to know if I was right or wrong in making these assumptions. He is the high school coach no less.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
No, you were spot on. The opposing coach is an idiot. Just because he is the HS coach does not make him immune to commiting stupid and unsportsman-like acts. Blue should have given him a warning after the first outburst then run him out of the game. I'm always amazed how easily adults can ruin a kids game.:mad:

May 17, 2011
But what I want to know is if there could actually be a "play" for his team at 3rd? I want to give him all the benefit of the doubt first. BUT, after taunting at the plate to try to get her to swing, the pattern seemed too coincidental. There were a LOT of steals from 1st to 2nd without runners on 2nd or 3rd. This was the only time he yelled "Go to third" out of several similar plays. I am not intending to beat a dead horse with this, but I just need to clear it up because it really really bothered me.

Oct 25, 2009
But what I want to know is if there could actually be a "play" for his team at 3rd? I want to give him all the benefit of the doubt first. BUT, after taunting at the plate to try to get her to swing, the pattern seemed too coincidental. There were a LOT of steals from 1st to 2nd without runners on 2nd or 3rd. This was the only time he yelled "Go to third" out of several similar plays. I am not intending to beat a dead horse with this, but I just need to clear it up because it really really bothered me.

If I was giving him the benefit of the doubt he might have been telling a fielder to cover third. Otherwise it is completely unacceptable to hassle that age group. I would definitely expect better from a HS coach.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I once played against a dufus, that yelled "foul ball!" as one of my hitters took a swing and the ball rolled towards the line and settled on it. His catcher picked the ball up and threw it to first, as my batter (age 10) stood in the box. I went toe to toe with dufus. He was embarrassed and I said "Sam! What are you doing?" We all laughed and let it go. But, he didn't keep doing it.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
The catcher has the ball ready to throw when the runner is 80% to second. The coach yells, "Head for third
WOW..I think I yell to my team...watch third...then say back to the pitcher!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck