Coach about to "POP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2010
For the 2nd time in the past three seasons, our high-school coach is pregnant. She's in her last tri-mester ( 8th month ). In her past 3 seasons she has an over-all record of 9 wins/ 45 losses.
The team has a solid core of 7 players, 6 of which also excel in club ball. Core avg-
.300, it drops to .200 with the 5 "other" players. Her asst. coach is green..."very very green". Here's the problem.
Because of her "condition", she spends the majority of the time sitting on the bench. The players are under minimal supervison during warm-ups, and she offers no instructional aide, making the paractices look like something you would see at the 3rd-4th grade level.
She openly discourages putting in extra time batting or fielding, stating that this would cause "over-use" fatigue. So each day the girls gather on the practice field for their 1-1/2 hour long elementry education on softball.
She personally takes charge of infield practice, hitting the ball to each player at speeds that any 5 year old can easily handle.
The players want more. They need more. On game day they get plummeted because they lack the game speed and timing. They aren't phyically or "mentally" prepared to face their opponents.
I've also personally witnessed the team practice being stopped so her 2 year old could run around on the field on day.
Some of the players have lost focus of the game, others have begun making comments like when they miss the ball they'll say " sorry, I'm pregnant". They refer to a loss as "getting knocked up", a hit has become "banging the balls around" and other discusting comments that has lowered the over-all integrety of the game that they loved and enjoyed.
The pregnancy has become a major distraction. It's caused a virus on the bench and through-out the players both on and off the field.
Parents have discussed it with their own players, and I with mine, but lets face it, these girls are 15-17 years old girls, that understand "safe sex", "planned parent-hood", and are very aware of their own phyical maturity.
The coach is eligible for disability, but she has no intentions of stepping down until she actually goes into labor. She tells parents she has no problems, but it's apparent that she has more than she realizes.
With 3 weeks left, the team is 1-14 and 10 games to go. They want her gone, the parents agree.
The question is: How?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Any attempt to remove a pregnant female from a coaching position could be seen as sexual discrimination. You do not want to go there.

It is beyond me, why players stay with programs like the one you described. Girls do not need HS softball, to play at another level. Just have your DD turn in her uniform and wish the coach best.

I am not certain what your comments about family planning are supposed to mean. Even if the coach is single, her plans for her family are NOYB.

May 25, 2010
For the 2nd time in the past three seasons, our high-school coach is pregnant. She's in her last tri-mester ( 8th month ). In her past 3 seasons she has an over-all record of 9 wins/ 45 losses.
The team has a solid core of 7 players, 6 of which also excel in club ball. Core avg-
.300, it drops to .200 with the 5 "other" players. Her asst. coach is green..."very very green". Here's the problem.
Because of her "condition", she spends the majority of the time sitting on the bench. The players are under minimal supervison during warm-ups, and she offers no instructional aide, making the paractices look like something you would see at the 3rd-4th grade level.
She openly discourages putting in extra time batting or fielding, stating that this would cause "over-use" fatigue. So each day the girls gather on the practice field for their 1-1/2 hour long elementry education on softball.
She personally takes charge of infield practice, hitting the ball to each player at speeds that any 5 year old can easily handle.
The players want more. They need more. On game day they get plummeted because they lack the game speed and timing. They aren't phyically or "mentally" prepared to face their opponents.
I've also personally witnessed the team practice being stopped so her 2 year old could run around on the field on day.
Some of the players have lost focus of the game, others have begun making comments like when they miss the ball they'll say " sorry, I'm pregnant". They refer to a loss as "getting knocked up", a hit has become "banging the balls around" and other discusting comments that has lowered the over-all integrety of the game that they loved and enjoyed.
The pregnancy has become a major distraction. It's caused a virus on the bench and through-out the players both on and off the field.
Parents have discussed it with their own players, and I with mine, but lets face it, these girls are 15-17 years old girls, that understand "safe sex", "planned parent-hood", and are very aware of their own phyical maturity.
The coach is eligible for disability, but she has no intentions of stepping down until she actually goes into labor. She tells parents she has no problems, but it's apparent that she has more than she realizes.
With 3 weeks left, the team is 1-14 and 10 games to go. They want her gone, the parents agree.

How is removing her now going to improve this season?

Screwball is going to go crazy (no pun intended) on this one.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
The pregnancy isn't the problem. The coach is. Being HS you probably can't remove her anyway (see the other thread about HS coaches).

It's probably best to grin and bear it or move on. If enough players quit softball the school may realize something is a mess.

Jul 26, 2010
Have your softball team quit and try out for chess or debate, it'll do them more good at becoming better softball players then HS softball.

-W

Oct 22, 2009
PA
With 3 weeks left, the team is 1-14 and 10 games to go.
It's too late for this year, there is no way to salvage the season, especially since the tone for the year is now ingrained. Make your plans for summer ball.

They want her gone, the parents agree. The question is: How?
If no one signs up for softball next year, there will be no need for a softball coach. The next year, or the year after, you may have come leverage to get a new coach for the "new" team. Probably too late for your DD, unfortunately.

Jan 31, 2011
I'm sorry, but to read the comments you posted about a pregnant mother tells me alot about the character of your team, players and parents. Who would allow their kids to disrespect the coach like this?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Hey, at least THIS coach has a reason to be like that. My DD's Varsity HS team's coach is exactly the same, but he is a MAN!

Fortunately the kids on the team have some talent and are winning games regardless...

The good news is that there is only about a month of HS ball left.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
he pregnancy isn't the problem. The coach is.

Totally agree...pregnancy isn't the issue.

The pregnancy has become a major distraction.

Sorry...but this is simply sexist. Women get pregnant all the time.

I hate to get into the old, "My grandmother chopped cotton up until the day she gave birth to my father" (which she did, by the way).

The coach should be required to do her job. If she isn't doing her job, then you can complain to her supervisor.

Go talk to her supervisor...who is likely the school's AD.

May 25, 2010
The coach is eligible for disability, but she has no intentions of stepping down until she actually goes into labor.

Upon further review, this coach should be lauded for staying on the job instead of collecting 'disability' payments for being pregnant, something I never heard of before I got to California.

The biggest problems with the team are you, the other parents you're gossiping with, and the way you've raised your players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes