Closing the Door: Squaring Hips/Shoulders to Catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2010
Oklahoma
In my experience the opening and closing, especially in the WCWS, will depend on which pitch they are throwing. A RH screwball/riseball should have the pitchers hips the most open position, where as a curve ball, the pitcher will have a more closed (not always completely closed position).

The fastball is where this can get confusing. I am still torn as which way is best, as a has-been player and now a coach. There are benefits to both if taught correctly.

I personally learned to the stepping style fastball (closed style), and had some but little experience with the leap and drag (open style). By the time I got to college I had a weak screwball, but had a killer curve (which made me a suprise to teams in our conference) Everyone else was working on hitting the up and in pitches.

May 25, 2010
I disagree with that premise. Why learning something one way, then have to completely change it later after the first set of habits is ingrained. It sounds like a quick fix to avoid having to work to achieve success.

In my opinion your daughter should be learning good, long-term mechanics now. They will help her build speed, build accuracy, and save her shoulder down the road. Pitching squared up to the plate (never opening) will cause shoulder impingement, which is not only painful but could keep her from pitching later on.

Keep in mind that accuracy is not a goal, it's a result. If she does the right things the right way she will be accurate. I'd ask her pitching coach to teach her the right way to pitch now. If he/she won't, find someone else or you'll be wasting her time and your money.

Good points all, and it appears as though I misspoke a bit.

DD's rec league coach stressed 'closing the door' for power and to get her into the ready position defensively. That's the way she was taught 20+ years ago.

Her private coaches, however, want her following through of course, but the ball release actually takes place well in advance of the hips coming square. So, it appears the for-pay instruction is in line with the more up-to-date techniques. My bad.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Good to hear. I find that getting into a defensive position happens pretty naturally if you exert maximum effort into driving into the stride leg. As the back leg comes up it hits a stopping point at the front leg, then has to go somewhere. It usually goes to the side (well after the pitch is thrown), resulting in an automatic defensive position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand