Opening the hips, a debateable opinion.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I have been on this board a long time. I have read what others have said about the opening of the hips. Not trying to debate open vs closed mechanics here.

After reading countless posts / questions that include "opening too much" Not opening enough", "closing too soon" "Closing too late", etc.

With all that said, I am under the opinion that most feel or believe that however much the hips are going to open, that this takes place over the entire length and time of the stride with the stride foot.

From the instant the stride foot comes forward of the rubber, to the instant it touches down, most seem to feel this takes place over that entire length of time. Perhaps I am mistaken in my berlief here but I dont think so.

In my honest opinion, however much the hips are going to open, this should be done PRIOR to the pivot foot losing contact with the rubber. It should be done just as quickly and aggressively as everything else in the motions. I opened my hips to 45 degrees, or thereabouts, and kept them at that angle until an instant after LFT. This is also how I taught students I worked with, "Open the door to where it needs to be and do that quickly AND KEEP EM THERE.

I am picturing young pitchers trying to get their hips open over the entire length of time in the stride. No wonder so many seem to have late or early timing issues with that. This has got to be the problem with most of these kids.

But, anyway, just my own opinion. Dont recall this being kicked around before.

Just an old instructor's opinion and opinions are always debateable, unless it's an umpire's judgement call :).

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
My DD is getting much closer to where I want her. I took her to a PC that stressed to her slamming the door and stopping her hand at the bottom of the circle. One time and one time only. The hip issue has been a problem since. It created a timing issue where there hadn't been one. I'm going to start using more video to try and see the issues. I took three stills yesterday from different angles. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
The most obvious detail I see worth mentioning from the start is that your son (catcher) needs to be told that real men dont wear black socks with shorts.

May 18, 2009
The most obvious detail I see worth mentioning from the start is that your son (catcher) needs to be told that real men dont wear black socks with shorts.

It's the trendy thing to do. I wonder where they come up with this stuff? I will say it's preferable to the pants being around the ankles, LOL.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Back on subject, with my own DD I don't really don't teach this either way. She is a slam the door pitcher.

Is opening for the extra fraction of a second an issue? In other words, does it make a difference? If so, what are the pros/cons?

May 18, 2009
I caught this still at release. It's close. Her hip is starting the turn or has turned to 45 at the release. When she is a split second off on timing it sends the ball toward the batter. photo (1).jpg

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hal, you've made an excellent point! I think you're absolutely right about the aggressiveness of the opening and how to should take place while the push foot is in contact with the rubber. If it's still happening as that foot starts to drag, there is a greater chance of mechanical breakdown, AND doing it slower takes away power.

I think the reason there is a misconception about this is there are so few examples of average pitchers out there who can do this correctly (when I say average, I just mean girls who aren't aired on ESPN). So most visible examples are of girls opening over the whole length of the stride. Opening quickly and aggressively takes a TON of hip and core strength than most girls don't have naturally, and many are unwilling to put in the strength training time necessary to get themselves to that level—or just unaware of how important it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors