Opening the hips, a debateable opinion.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
From the instant the stride foot comes forward of the rubber, to the instant it touches down, most seem to feel this takes place over that entire length of time.

I agree with this. I believe the hips should not be forced to do anything if all else is as it should be. I think a strong drive with the stride foot and glove hand reaching, along the pivot foot pushing, opens the body with little conscious or extra effort.

Does anyone have some video examples of pitchers clearly forcing their hips open? Watching Osterman and Mowatt at full speed gives the idea that they consciously force their hips to open, or maybe they force their pivot legs to get some extra English or umph into their motion. Any others? Seems like Bunner also did this, but I can't find a video.

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
The photo I posted was taken on a college field right after a game. My DD drive seems timid from the front until I look where she actually finishes in the circle. I wonder if this drive off was harder because of the 43ft vs the 35 she has been throwing from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie