Classless or part of the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2014
Columbus, OH
I would like to know what your thoughts are on this:

Playing on a field that had a wooden roof over team bench where the front side (towards the field) has a wall that drops about 3 foot down form the top (probably to help shield the sun).

Opposing 14u team starts pounding on the wooden wall and screaming while pitcher starts her pitching motion...continues to pound between each pitch and would get louder each time the pitcher starts her pitch. This was so loud I was not able to hear what my assistant was saying next to me...let alone the girls on the field hear us. I look at ump and say "seriously?"

Next Inning, thumping on the wall starts again by opposing and the field ump tells the girls to stop and head coach just look at him and says nothing to his team and girls ignore ump all the while plate ump keeps on going on with the game, not calling time while his field ump is trying to get the other teams to quit pounding.

Next Inning girls stop pounding on wood...pick up balls and start pounding on fence and still screaming at the time of each pitch and in between. At this point I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Needless to say that it accomplished what they were trying to do, rattle my players as when they came off the field in the first inning they were annoyed and my third basemen stated she wanted to pick up a ball and throw it at the fence in front of their bench. We are a 13u Team...and yes, my girls need to be able to focus and not let it bother them. But come on, this is a supposed top organization in our state and I have never witnessed this type of tactic before and honestly this is an embarrassment to their organization! Talk to umps after the game and they state that this team has been an issue all day...I tell them its up to their discretion to stop it and they should have taken charge.

So I put this in the classless category. If you need to stoop to this level in order to get an upper hand...then there are obviously problems with your team if you need to resort to this. And this is a talented 14u team which really perplexes me.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I think taunting is classless. It's one thing to cheer on your teammates. It's quite another to taunt opposing team members.

Oct 22, 2009
During the world series when one of the pitchers went back into the game the entire opposing team left the dugout and went out into the field to give her the stink eye for her 5 warm up pitches.

Feb 16, 2012
We faced a team this weekend that had put rocks in soda bottles and beat on the fence in the dugout all weekend. We finally played them Sunday and by the time my DD had pitched her third inning all but three had stopped. It didn't affect her and in fact it made her so mad she pitched better. I would put both in the classless category.

Mar 26, 2013
Watch NCAA softball. They take balls and beat on the wooden bench. Better get use to it.
At the OK-TN super regional, the umpire made the OK players stop based on the artificial noisemaker rule.

5.11.2 The use of artificial noisemakers, air horns and electronic amplifiers by student-athletes and team personnel is prohibited while on site for competition. For the purpose of this rule, the field, bullpens and dugouts are considered to be on site.
EFFECT—When brought to the attention of the umpire by the opposing coach, the umpire shall issue a warning to the offending individual. Any subsequent violation by the same individual shall result in an administrative ejection (see Rule 13.2.1). If the umpire judges the act to be flagrant, the offender shall be ejected without warning.

I guess TN complained...

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
We faced a team this weekend that had put rocks in soda bottles and beat on the fence in the dugout all weekend. We finally played them Sunday and by the time my DD had pitched her third inning all but three had stopped. It didn't affect her and in fact it made her so mad she pitched better. I would put both in the classless category.

Absolutely agree. Of course the quickest way to stop this is to go out and score a lot of runs quickly then shut them down with strong defense. By the time they are down 6-8 runs, they pretty much have forgotten about the pounding/ water bottles.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
They learned that from Alabama on tv lol.

It is actually not legal in NCAA and Alabama did not do it at the WS like they did all year at home.

Jun 7, 2013
Classless. Beat the other team with your pitching, hitting, defense, and base running. I guess that if you can't, those are the type of things that you resort to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1