"Class" of teams going up as classification does

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
This a bit lengthy and not so much a discussion as just an observation I wanted to share.

My DD joined a newly formed team this season. They are made up of primarily '03 players (most of which are still 12U eligible), but the team was formed with players from various strong 12U teams from last season who wanted to start playing 14U. They worked extremely hard over the Winter to get ready for Spring season. They jumped right into the deep end and entered a large 14U open tournament, made up of mostly 14A teams who are legitimately talented from top to bottom and compete on a national level, as their first tournament. Goal for tournament was to get an idea of the level they'll need to get to to compete on a National level. No expectation of winning anything, just trying to stay relatively competitive. They go 0-5 for the weekend, but competitive in a couple games, and come away with confidence knowing what to expect now. Think biggest surprise to them was that pitching was not a lot faster, but exponentially better than 12A in regard to command and strategy and that batters were disciplined enough to not get themselves out.

What I wanted to comment about though was that the class of the teams at this level (and the parents and coaches) was a very welcome surprise. The "veteran" teams all seemed to make an effort to say hi to, and mix with, the new teams (ours and 2 other other new 12U actuals) as they milled around between games. There were parents from other teams that came over and introduced themselves (and reassured us that most of them started out exactly the same way in their first 14A event). It seemed like a large group event made up of people who were glad to have more joining the community, as opposed to the "everyone in their own camps and don't talk to anyone else mentality" that was there at the 12A Regional tournaments. Was also impressed at the way a couple team's coaches were able to take their foot off the gas when they had a game well in hand without giving our team "gimme" outs. These were 2 different clubs which led me to believe teams at this level just get it. Side note...both of those teams run ruled us, but it seemed their players made a point to talk to ours afterwards and offer "atta girls & compliments" instead of just the obligatory high five & good game. I am sure our players will remember this vividly and do the same when they are more experienced and on the other side of the score. My DD went 2-2 in one game and scored our teams only runs on a hard double to wall, but all she wanted to talk about after was how the catcher from the other team (who was an awesome player) introduced herself to DD personally, complimented her blocking and gave her a couple tips on freezing a runner. My guess is that this is how this competitive yet friendly environment is being perpetuated.

Our players had all been on tournament winning teams at 12U, but it seemed like they all came away more charged up and motivated from this tournament than they were from some of their previous wins because of the way they were treated by the veteran teams and the overall event atmosphere. This past week our coach asked if they wanted to play a local tournament where they would have a good shot of advancing deep or go to another 14A where they would probably not do so well overall...unanimous vote by players to play 14A. I talked to friend of mine whose DD was also playing in this tournament with a first year team playing up. She said she had a very similar experience and was impressed by the teams and how much more fun it was.

I wanted share this and see if your experiences have been the same across the country. I'm sure there are less than classy teams everywhere and at all levels, but I just didn't see it here. I'd been told that would be a significant change between 12 & 14A. Even watching the tightly contested semis and finals, the players, parents and coaches all had a competitive yet sportsmanlike/professional/"enthusiastically controlled" approach it seemed. Ironically watched a HS game this week where parents were screaming and yelling like their life was on the line. With all the press on psycho coaches and parents and travel sports being "too competitive and stressful" I thought it was great to see what highly competitive Fastpitch can be like and experience it personified in the players and people involved. I'm sure this is not news to a lot of you more experienced members who have had DDs advance through the levels, but wanted to offer thanks to all of you who have helped build an environment like this for the next generation of players (and parents) coming through.

Jun 12, 2015
Mine is 10U and plays A tournaments and lots of people are definitely not what I'd call classy. I think it may be an age thing more than level of play. Everyone tells me it starts to get better in 14U. I don't want my DD to grow up any faster but I'm looking forward to the less insanity part.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've not found people to be nicer or nastier based on level of play (ie, A, B). I do notice that parents are a little more cordial/tolerable the older you go because those are parents that have been around longer and have learned the game and the etiquette, and many of the less friendly/tolerable parents have been weeded out. But, they exist at all levels and ages, IMO.

Also, people tend to be more welcoming and cordial to those who don't threaten them. You went 0-5. Everybody is nicer when they're winning. :)

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
I agree, everyone is nice to you when they just run ruled you...LOL. I think too, the higher level you play and the older the girls are, it becomes more about the girls and LESS about the parents. We are a 12A doing the exact same thing.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Mine is 10U and plays A tournaments and lots of people are definitely not what I'd call classy. I think it may be an age thing more than level of play. Everyone tells me it starts to get better in 14U. I don't want my DD to grow up any faster but I'm looking forward to the less insanity part.

It gets better when the players start to drive themselves to their own games (and mom dad stay home).

Until then......theres always one that ruins it for all.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It will continue to get better as your DD gets older....but as others have mentioned it will be interesting to see how teams react when you are winning!

Feb 15, 2016
Sounds like a great experience. Ours has varied greatly. We've been in similar situations and then been in situations where parents from different teams are talking trash and almost getting into fights unfortunately. As has been mentioned the real barometer will probably be how a 14U team reacts when they're beaten by 12 year olds.

Mar 29, 2012

10u can be flat out nuts. Lots of the parent act like their kid is about to get a scholorship becuase of the game they are currently in.

Jun 12, 2015
I've noticed how many parents seem to be serious about college already. That's a lot of pressure on a young child, those kinds of expectations at that age.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish