Clarification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I am seeking clarification. I believe I know the answer however there are smarter people here than I so here goes....Runner is coming in from 3rd base to home. Prior to runner reaching home plate catcher positions herself straddling the foul line about 2' in front of home plate. Catcher does not have possession of the ball. Runner comes in and tries to slide under her (between legs). Ball arrives after slide starts. Catcher is sitting on runner with ball after runner slid under her. Runners feet were on then plate but called out. Is this obstruction/interference? (I always get them mixed up).

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Interference is a violation by the offense, Obstruction is a violation by the defense.

The play as described could be obstruction.

Two things have to happen to have an obstruction call:

1. Fielder does not have the ball.
2. Runner is hindered from running the bases by the fielder without the ball.

In the play described, was the runner hindered from advancing by the catcher without the ball? I don't know, I didn't see it.

Blocking the plate or the base without possession of the ball is not, in and of itself, obstruction. The runner has to be hindered by the fielder without the ball.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Thanks. Catcher did not have the ball when the slide was started. Feet were on then plate then catcher sat on player once she caught it. Umpire called the out. I felt it was close as it was a Bang Bang type situation.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Obstruction. Can't block the plate or base without possession.

This statement by itself is completely false. There is no such rule.

AFA the OP, it is obstruction ONLY if the umpire rules the catcher's position impeded the runner and caused her to react in a manner different than if the catcher wasn't there. The fact that the catcher completed the play by putting out the runner is irrelevant to the ruling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish