Choosing a glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
My daughter likes the Nike glove since it's pre-broken in. She's 5'1" and uses a 12" glove. I maintain it by cleaning periodically using boot saddle soap and mink oil. Since I like tacos I keep a 12" ball in it and place it in an old winter hat which loosely holds it in place. I do the same for my own 13" Worth glove. Both have stayed in good condition since purchased. Glove size depends a bit on hand size and strength, as well as position. From what I've read infielders tend to use smaller gloves since it helps in transitioning from catching to throwing, while outfielders tend to use larger gloves for a little more reach. To me it's her preference - if she likes a larger glove and can squeeze it well enough to keep a hard hit/thrown ball in it then buy the glove. Too often though I've seen girls (smaller typically) with gloves that are too large - bought so they can "grow into them" - which end up detrimentally affecting their skill development for catching.

Aug 11, 2009
My glove is a 13 inch, and is Mizuno. When i first got it, it wasnt all stiff like most other gloves come. I am a pitcher, and outfield as my other position, and i have good control over the glove.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06