Checking in with a couple of updated videos of Olivia (will be 11 next month and moving to 12u) to get some critique on.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
I don't know anything about fastpitch pitching, but should her front knee/foot be more straight here? And is her front arm and torso opening up too early?

Yes and yes. That said, she looks young and strong front side resistance - to include shoulder rotation - requires a degree of core strength that many don't develop until they are a bit older.

Its like an explosive drive....you emphasize it in practice when they are young to develop good habits, but don't expect them to look like Scarborough at 10.

Drive and FSR are two things they will work on constantly and two things that can always be a little better.

Nov 8, 2018
I feel like she could pull off the grip for a circle for about 2 more months until she has to start throwing a 12" ball. With the horseshoe/palm, does she just open up her hand all at once at release? No fingertip pressure, right?

Remember more fingers more speed. More palm less speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
My 9 year old was taught the flip change pretty early on. Wow, that pitch is hard. Release a tiny bit too late, it goes flying high into the air. Release it a tiny bit too soon and you roll the ball to the plate.

She actually got pretty good at it, and even struck out a few girls with it.

New pitching coach after 6 months said she'd support and teach either, but personally pitched in college with the horseshoe. I was happy to move to that pitch. And it's going pretty well.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My 9 year old was taught the flip change pretty early on. Wow, that pitch is hard. Release a tiny bit too late, it goes flying high into the air. Release it a tiny bit too soon and you roll the ball to the plate.

She actually got pretty good at it, and even struck out a few girls with it.

New pitching coach after 6 months said she'd support and teach either, but personally pitched in college with the horseshoe. I was happy to move to that pitch. And it's going pretty well.
Flip change is an extremely hard pitch for younger girls! Our pitching coach doesn't teach a flip or horseshoe, she teach's Rick Pauly's method. When we started going to her over a year ago, she said Anna's change up was too good to change at this late in the game so we stayed with the horseshoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand