Checking in with a couple of updated videos of Olivia (will be 11 next month and moving to 12u) to get some critique on.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
She looks great. The biggest issue is what you said. She has the scoot and shoot going on. Hips are escaping left not allowing for any brush. Probably due to her arm positioning. Her arm is poker straight at the bottom. Fix that and you’re cooking with gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
She looks great. The biggest issue is what you said. She has the scoot and shoot going on. Hips are escaping left not allowing for any brush. Probably due to her arm positioning. Her arm is poker straight at the bottom. Fix that and you’re cooking with gas

Oh also, have her crack that walnut at the bottom. Will help keep her hips under her. My daughter responds to squeeze the abs. Hates crack the walnut. Whatever works right.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Tell her to stop "monkey butting". Stand up straight, and let her body brush the arm.

She is doing great. If she gets some brush going, start working on the change.

Nov 8, 2018
Flip change , circle change , knuckle Chang e and palm change. Need to see which one fits her best. My dd uses 1 knuckle change. Gets her great spin and speed.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Flip change , circle change , knuckle Chang e and palm change. Need to see which one fits her best. My dd uses 1 knuckle change. Gets her great spin and speed.

I'm not sure how evident it is from the videos but she's VERY small and I've been wondering if one is better than another for small hands. I know AD told me that Anna threw a horseshoe change because she had small hands, but to be honest, I've had a hard time finding somewhere that describes exactly how all of them are gripped/thrown, so I can let her try them. The only thing she's thrown is a flip and the variation on the flip that Hillhouse does, that kind of trails away and down on a righty (let me rephrase- she's TRIED to throw that lol).

Nov 8, 2018
I'm not sure how evident it is from the videos but she's VERY small and I've been wondering if one is better than another for small hands. I know AD told me that Anna threw a horseshoe change because she had small hands, but to be honest, I've had a hard time finding somewhere that describes exactly how all of them are gripped/thrown, so I can let her try them. The only thing she's thrown is a flip and the variation on the flip that Hillhouse does, that kind of trails away and down on a righty (let me rephrase- she's TRIED to throw that lol).

Well the knuckle change won’t work. Horseshoe (palm) and circle would work. Throw it like a fastball basically. Because of the grip the ball wont release like a fastball the hand will come around the outside of the ball as you ir. Puts spin on it. Usually side spin and maybe down spin too. It will move. Or should. Just don’t get caught up in the old he version of the handshake. Keep the arm loose and use the grip to keep the speed down. Works great when done properly. The grip locks in the wrist a little and doesn’t allow the fingers to get involved taking speed off the ball.
Try it. See how it works.
I’m not an expert on the flip change so can’t help there.
Lmk how it works

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13