Checking in with a couple of updated videos of Olivia (will be 11 next month and moving to 12u) to get some critique on.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Well the knuckle change won’t work. Horseshoe (palm) and circle would work. Throw it like a fastball basically. Because of the grip the ball wont release like a fastball the hand will come around the outside of the ball as you ir.
That is how I used to throw my changeup...in baseball. Yeah, not helpful I know LOL!!

@OsDad she looks good to my I have "no freaking idea what I am talking about" eye. Now if she could only find an AC who knew what he was doing and let her pitch more in games... :LOL:

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Well the knuckle change won’t work. Horseshoe (palm) and circle would work. Throw it like a fastball basically. Because of the grip the ball wont release like a fastball the hand will come around the outside of the ball as you ir. Puts spin on it. Usually side spin and maybe down spin too. It will move. Or should. Just don’t get caught up in the old he version of the handshake. Keep the arm loose and use the grip to keep the speed down. Works great when done properly. The grip locks in the wrist a little and doesn’t allow the fingers to get involved taking speed off the ball.
Try it. See how it works.
I’m not an expert on the flip change so can’t help there.
Lmk how it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like she could pull off the grip for a circle for about 2 more months until she has to start throwing a 12" ball. With the horseshoe/palm, does she just open up her hand all at once at release? No fingertip pressure, right?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I feel I could probably hit her!

I agree with what sluggers said, other than that she looks great! For a 10 year old, her mechanics are way ahead of the game! Good job dad!

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I feel I could probably hit her!

I agree with what sluggers said, other than that she looks great! For a 10 year old, her mechanics are way ahead of the game! Good job dad!

At her age, had Anna started throwing a horseshoe change yet or did that come later? I think we talked about this some over the phone but I can't remember exactly what you said. I think I may have her try it and see how it looks.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
At her age, had Anna started throwing a horseshoe change yet or did that come later? I think we talked about this some over the phone but I can't remember exactly what you said. I think I may have her try it and see how it looks.

If I had to put a number / age on it, I *think* she was 11. We started going to our first PC at 10, he of course first worked on mechanics with a fastball, next pitch was naturally a drop ball, then the horseshoe change was 3rd.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
If I had to put a number / age on it, I *think* she was 11. We started going to our first PC at 10, he of course first worked on mechanics with a fastball, next pitch was naturally a drop ball, then the horseshoe change was 3rd.

That would probably make sense, actually. That's when she would have had to start throwing a 12" ball too, making hand size a bigger issue. I'll tell Olivia if she starts brushing AND can learn the change, I'll buy her the DM pro1000 :ROFLMAO:. We'll see how long it takes her to realize that I'm bribing her with something that's actually more for me lol.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
If I could politely emphasize 3 of the most important things ever for her............

1) Brush, work on it, work on it, and work on it some more!!
2) Keep that elbow tucked, never let it fly out........see #1 ;)
3) Keep that front shoulder in!! When her front shoulder fly's out, spin pitches stay flat!
Okay there's (4).......explode off the rubber and front side resistance!

My DD is 5'0" and 135 lbs. with small hands, if she's not a knucklehead and focuses on these 3 things, all her movement pitches explode!! At 10, and with her first PC, these things were never emphasized, with her new PC, that's ALL she works on!

Anna's prone to some bad habits but when these mechanics are spot on , pitching lessons are happy lessons! Right now at her age, working on correct mechanics with Olivia is priority number ONE, not speed!

As much as I absolutely loved Anna's first PC, I wish we would have been seeing her current PC since age 12!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
That would probably make sense, actually. That's when she would have had to start throwing a 12" ball too, making hand size a bigger issue. I'll tell Olivia if she starts brushing AND can learn the change, I'll buy her the DM pro1000 :ROFLMAO:. We'll see how long it takes her to realize that I'm bribing her with something that's actually more for me lol.
Love the way you think!

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
32wodu.jpg

I don't know anything about fastpitch pitching, but should her front knee/foot be more straight here? And is her front arm and torso opening up too early?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs