USSSA Coaches Card?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
He could have meant background check (you actually do get a card in the mail when you send in your $11, um...I mean, when you "pass"). And you really are only supposed to be on a field if you've passed your background check and completed SafeSport certification.

And technically, only coaches who are rostered with that team should be in the dugout, but...
But a almost exclusively a USSS A umpire, I've never seen a official USSSA roster, ( other than when DD was on one) or check if a coach is certified. I guess that's all up to the TD when the team signs up.

May 29, 2015
Props needed for free admission:
1) Shirt with a collar.
2) Cargo shorts
3) Tennis shoes with socks. (Flip flops are a dead give away.)
4) A backpack. A bucket is better but if you are busted, it’s an obvious sign of espionage.

I tested this theory pretty hard when I was actually coaching. I’m confident in it.

That would be cheaper than my several hundreds of dollars in equipment and umpire shirts. I knew I was doing it wrong.

May 29, 2015
Random tidbits:

Umpires, do NOT put your bags, coolers, etc. on the field. I try not to even hang my water bottle in play unless there is no other option. If you do have to put something in play, place it as far out of the common lines of fire as possible.

What is the ruling if a ball hits it? It is just part of the field. Why would you put yourself in that position though?

This may just be me, but the only time I have ever concerned myself as to whether somebody is a coach or not were the times when coaches would come stand behind the backstop. You cannot be there. More than once I have warned a coach about this only to have them reply "Uh, no, I'm just a dad." Then I would see them in the dugout. Then they would come back behind the backstop the next inning. At that point I would say, "If I see you set foot in that dugout, you will be ejected. Either you are a coach and cannot be back here, or you are not a coach and cannot be in there."

Yes, there are restrictions and requirements by organizations for good reason. However, like roster issues, that's the TD's problem not the umpire's. If you have a series of ejections, you need to let the TD determine if there are any coaches left or if you need to call the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad