Check list and goals for my young pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I am helping with a travel team from our city that my 9 year old DD plays for. It is full of Little League kids that we are helping move past community ball and they are excited. I have already had the pleasure of doing this once with a group of all local city girls (who I started with at age 10)that were 14U last year and put a thumping to most of the statewide competition in travel circles...mostly NSA (in Ohio which is pretty good ball.) My DD pitches and we'll need at least one more. I have been working with a few of the 9 - 10 U kids and decided to have a pitcher/parent meeting last night to outline goals. I also did a demonstration, then asked parents to use video as a feedback tool and gave parents a basic checklist of things to observe on video as they work with their DD. These are the basics to help them when I can't help them and until they commit to a Pitching Coach. Thought I would share them. I handed these out as two worksheets: First my goals -

Goals for 10U pitchers:

Reasonable goals for girls interested in being pitchers at a competitive level of 10U fastpitch softball.

To be able to pitch one or more complete games in a day

To pitch at a measurable speed of 39 – 45 mph

To be able to locate pitches middle, inside and outside

To have a change-up that can be used when ahead in the count

To walk no more than an average of 1 batters an inning

Many, many female athletes will pitch but only a select few will ever become pitchers. My experience is that girls who excel at the 10U level have a significantly higher chance of becoming a high level pitcher at the older age groups. Good mechanics, combined with the right attitude and strong adult support are keys in becoming a pitcher. Are you as a player and as a parent in?

Then my Checklist:
Check List of things to look for in video review:

• Does pitcher start with ball and glove separated and then have them touch for 1 second?
  • Does pitcher have BOTH feet touching the rubber and does she rock back NOT step back
  • Does pitcher push out with knee over toe, nose over knee
  • Does pitcher open upper body nearly all the way with arm in line with, NOT outside of shoulder?
  • Is pitcher stepping on or just slightly to the glove side of the power line with foot landing on an angle?
  • Is pitcher landing on slightly flexed front leg with weight mostly centered in body?
  • At landing is arm somewhere between 10 o’clock and 9 o’clock
  • Is pitcher throwing the ball underhand by “internally rotating” ?
  • (Forearm and bicep open until 9 o’clock and then whipping the forearm then wrist to release like an overhand throw.)
  • Is pitcher dragging back foot on toe. Knee to knee finish?
FEEDBACK?

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
List

lhowser, I might suggest you add something about the length of stride. I often use six heel to toe steps from the front of the rubber as a generic stride length to shoot for. Also maybe add a line describing posture through the motion: the forward lean during stride , the slight reverse lean at heel plant and then pitching to an upright position at release. I went through your travel team journey once with my DD and now as a MS coach I am attempting to do the same in a school district that hasn't seen travel at the level your team will be playing. Starting from scratch at the 10U level is about every adjective you can think of. :) Your experience with a start up 10U travel team would be an interesting blog or reality show. :D Good luck and have fun.

Nov 6, 2008
Maybe something describing the proper arm circle, and the proper position of the ball/hand at the 12 O’Clock position. Good list though.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I like those suggestions. i am looking for a good quality video clip of a quality pitcher from the side and back that i can download and pull still shots from and place them next to each part of the checklist as thumbnails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal