Change-up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Watching the pitchers hand flipping over top/sideways/snapping up/down can be the same as seeing a knuckle. Also tucking a knuckle isnt just for throwing a knuckle ball.
The pitcher Palming the ball can be a nice disguise!

Look for anything to detect pitch.

Sidenote
IMO
Throwing a pitch with no spin does not mean it's always going to be detected by the grip. The rarity of the outstanding ability to throw a no spin pitch that joggles left and right .... If it can be controlled, is unique!!!

*There is no 1 size fits all for colleges or for all coaches!
If somebody had the talent to control such a phenomenal pitch it is an exceptional tool!

By example
Debbie Mygind is inducted into the world softball hall of fame!
That pitch is part of the reason!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
I'm sure its been said here but the most important aspect is to keep the motion as fluid and fast as with all other pitches.
DD has the lowest velocity on her team but her change up is deadly. I've seen girls who are going to the SEC sit and watch her change up and scold themselves after it drops in for a backwards K. These are girls who would put that very pitch 300' out to dead center if they knew it was coming.
But they dont.. that's the secret..
You've gotta get into a hitters mind. Have them guessing and when they do that's the end for them.

Mar 28, 2014
That has not been my experience and was the complete opposite of what I suggested.
Correct, it is the opposite of what you suggested. But I'm only repeating what Kyla Holas teaches. She wants spin on the change up so hitters can't recognize it. She's adamant about it. She was the head coach at the University of Houston for 16 years, pitching coach for the NPF Chicago Bandits, and is in the USA Softball coaching pool. Although it may not have been been your experience, I believe she has more experience than either of us do so I will defer to her in these matters. No offense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06