Change-up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2016
We have a 14u pitcher that throws a very good 2 knuckle and 3 knuckle change-up, but the issue that I see that may hurt in the future is that it sometimes doesn't spin.

Thinking that elite hitters may be able to recognize the no spin and determine what the pitch is.

Question Is this something needs to work on to create a little spin or an I over thinking?

Nov 18, 2015
How fast does she throw it? Does it actually "knuckle" when she throws it with no spin? Most knuckle-changes I've heard talked about still have some sort of spin - so that the pitch "tumbles" more than "knuckles".

In slow pitch, I can throw a knuckle ball, but it doesn't really move. I'll throw more for a surprise factor - see if the batter takes a split second or two to realize it's not spinning - something to think about OTHER than getting ready to swing. But that's slow pitch. Used infrequently, I can see it being an effective pitch when thrown at higher speeds (40mph+), where any time spent thinking about the lack of spin means the ball is nearly in the catchers glove.

In short - movement is always the goal. If it doesn't knuckle/float/dance with no spin, then you're probably milli-seconds away from the batter sending it a very long way.

Jul 22, 2015
They will definitely recognize it at higher levels, but will that equate to it getting hit hard? Possibly, but maybe not. That said, it could remain an effective pitch for her, but she needs to also develop a change up that spins somewhat like one of her other pitches in order to make both of those pitches more difficult to pick up. For example, my most effective pitcher has a change up that spins very similar to her drop curve which makes both pitches harder to identify.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Years back, a pitcher for then defending nationals champion team
Cal State Fullerton

*Edit name Debbie Mygind

Threw an out-standing no spin knuckle ball that would joggle back and forth to the plate.
She was from New Zealand.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Question Is this something needs to work on to create a little spin or an I over thinking?

You are overthinking it. Focus on throwing the change-up for a strike on the "U" (inside, outside, bottom of stike zone). Then focus on varying th speed of the pitch to all of the above locations.

Bonus points if you can mimic the motion and release points her number one pitch (drop, curve, fast, whatever). Pracitice with a video camera for this.

I would not be concerned about that spin at all. IS there some hitter out there somewhere that will recognize the change based on one of the tells (and can successfully hit it). Sure, but you are betting that there aren't three hitters in a row that can do that.

Mar 28, 2014
You are overthinking it. Focus on throwing the change-up for a strike on the "U" (inside, outside, bottom of stike zone). Then focus on varying th speed of the pitch to all of the above locations.

Bonus points if you can mimic the motion and release points her number one pitch (drop, curve, fast, whatever). Pracitice with a video camera for this.

I would not be concerned about that spin at all. IS there some hitter out there somewhere that will recognize the change based on one of the tells (and can successfully hit it). Sure, but you are betting that there aren't three hitters in a row that can do that.
He asked if it would hurt in the future so I'm assuming he's not worried about the present as apparently it is working well. The answer to the question is unequivocally YES, if it doesn't spin, good hitters at the 16u/18u A level and College will recognize it and crush it.

So there is no over thinking going on here. She needs to learn to throw it with some spin if she wants to play at the college level.

Jul 22, 2015
I've seen a few pitchers with this type of "change up". The bottom-line for me is that this is simply another pitch in the arsenal, just like a curve, rise, etc. If it doesn't get hit then I'd throw it until it does. A true change up generally is a change of speed off of another pitch you throw and is much more difficult to pick up. I'd be developing a true change or off speed pitch with the assumption that at the highest levels the knuckle change may need to be used sparingly or not at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06