Catching Gear Brands & Models

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2013
This may be more appropriate for the Equipment forum, but since I'm sort of piggybacking on the Catching Gear Advice post, here goes ...

For those of you that have purchased catching gear for your DD in the past few years:

- Which equipment did you get (mask, chest protector, leg guards, entire set)?
- Which brand did you go with?
- Which model?
- How happy are you and DD with the choice?

I'd love to hear the good and the bad. I can start ...

DD is now 12, but three years ago I bought her an inexpensive Easton set (Black Magic). As I didn't know if she'd continue catching, I didn't want to make a huge investment. While it has held up fairly well, the amount of protection it provided was barely adequate. Dropping down killed her knees as there is almost no padding. If don't regret it, but if I had it to do again I would have spent more for a better set.

I'm now looking at getting her some real gear, with Schutt Scorpion (chest and leg guards) being the front-runner right now.

Thanks for contributing!

Aug 14, 2013
Full set of Under Armour Pro Series... Mask, Chest and Blockers. We bought this last year. In retrospect, I wish I would have done more research. Not unhappy with the quality and DD likes the gear. What I didn't know at the time was that I was just paying for the UA name. From what I read on here, UA gear is just rebranded All-Star gear.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I recently purchased my 9yo DD's first set of her own gear. We went with the Easton Natural complete set. Becuase my DD is pretty lean, I had to make some adjustments to the chest protector straps to get it to stay in place properly, but otherwise the set seems to be pretty decent for a first set. Based on her current growth rate, I HOPE we get through the Spring season with this set.

Jul 23, 2013
DD is on her second set of gear. Never had an issue with her first set of Easton Natural, which she out grew. She went with new Easton helmet and leg guards. However the Easton reversible chest protector was stiff and did not move with her. We returned that and tried a Boombah chest protector. Loves all of the new gear cannot wait for spring ball.

Aug 14, 2013
One other thing I would mention Grogger is to avoid the blockers or chest guards with the velcro fasteners. The other catcher on our team had some with velcro they lost their adhesion very quickly. The dirt seems to clog them up. They might be better in areas that have the all turf fields.

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks seedamin. I agree about the Velcro, although it seems even some of the high end gear is using it on the chest guards.

I'm pretty sure I won't be going with Easton again given DD's experience and hearing from others who don't care for the protection they provide.

All this is great info, so I'd love to hear from the other catchers and parents out there. Keep 'em coming!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Schutt; had the scorpion, didn't like the velcro. Just finished 2nd year with S3, all is good.

Feb 5, 2013
Schutt; had the scorpion, didn't like the velcro. Just finished 2nd year with S3, all is good.

redhotcoach, does she have all S3 components (helmet, chest, leg guards) or just the S3 chest protector? What is your daughters age/size, if you don't mind me asking?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Just bought 14 YO DD the Diamond ix3 series full set. We bought it from a local softball gear retailer who sells to most of the HS teams around our area and although he sells Schutt also, he recommended the Diamond gear instead. He told us that the quality is the same as Schutt without paying for the Schutt name. I cannot comment on that since we've never bought or looked at Schutt gear. However, DD loves the gear and it seems to offer her good protection since she hasn't complained about anything in the 5 months she's had the new gear.

I have bought several types in the last three years. Nothing comes even close to the new Wilson ProMotion series.

I hate to say that anything "revolutionizes" our sport, but this is the most advanced and sweetest catcher's gear I've ever seen. Super light, flexible for great mobility and extremely breathable while being very protective, none of my catchers will wear anything else.

The chest protector is sweet and the leg guards even sweeter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish