Catching Gear Brands & Models

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
DD is on her second set and loves her Nike Pro Gold Precision leg guard and chest protector. She still uses her Easton Natural catchers helmet from her first set. I really liked her Easton set but DD outgrew it. Found a real good deal on the Nike set so I went with it. She has had it for 2 seasons and so far no problems. I did like that the Easton Legs had removable inner pads

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks to everyone who has posted so far.

Sorry for the bump, but , but no one else has any thoughts to share on your DD's gear?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
redhotcoach, does she have all S3 components (helmet, chest, leg guards) or just the S3 chest protector? What is your daughters age/size, if you don't mind me asking?

Yes all the gear. She is 13 5'7 prob 140. We have to sinch down the straps and zip tie the chest protector, but isn't noticeable or dosen't bother her.

Feb 5, 2013
Just a follow up with our purchase progress (yes, I realize people may not care :) )

I just ordered a set of 14" Schutt S3 leg guards. I was a little torn about them since they have a narrower shin guard, supposedly to make them lighter.

41elQtQ1jZL.jpg

The nice thing is that they can be configured as double or triple flex. If we determine the shin guard is too thin, I'll just order the Scorpion's in whichever configuration she prefers (double or triple flex).

Still torn about the Chest Protector, mainly since the Schutt's go from 13" to 15". Afraid 15" will be huge on her and 13" will be grown out of too quickly.

Helmet? I'm lost ... anyone have any experience with the Easton Rival helmet?

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Grogger,
My DD and I both just got sets of the S3 shin guards. She likes the triple knee and I prefer the double knee for lessons. I think there is plenty of material up front for direct hits. Glancing blows will deflect off the padded foam leggings. We both like the light weight and patella padding. (Gel/Foam)

I just recent posted the same question about gear on ACC's Facebook Page I welcome anyone here to post a picture of your catcher and a description of their gear and glove. You can post with everyone else in the comments section of the "Happy Cyber Monday Post.

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks Chaz. Nice to hear that you think the shin protection is sufficient. Fingers are crossed that the 14" are the right size. My DD is a bit of a "tweener" at this point.

Feb 5, 2013
Follow up on the purchase of the Schutt S3. Here's a picture of DD with them on:

1206131710a.jpg

14" was the correct size for DD. Phew!

These are really well made.They fit her like a glove and look like they'll have plenty of shin protection, which was my concern if you see how narrow the shin plate is.The perforated rubber on the lower leg is thick enough to provide plenty of protection.

She's loving the knee cup and all the padding they provide over her previous pair.

Now on to a chest protector and new helmet ... *sigh*

Aug 14, 2013
Follow up on the purchase of the Schutt S3. Here's a picture of DD with them on:

View attachment 4965

14" was the correct size for DD. Phew!

These are really well made.They fit her like a glove and look like they'll have plenty of shin protection, which was my concern if you see how narrow the shin plate is.The perforated rubber on the lower leg is thick enough to provide plenty of protection.

She's loving the knee cup and all the padding they provide over her previous pair.

Now on to a chest protector and new helmet ... *sigh*

How does the weight compare to other blockers she has used?

Feb 5, 2013
How does the weight compare to other blockers she has used?

These are definitely the lightest she has used, although keep in mind she's only used a couple other youth sets. They are very light, but are very solid and not flimsy at all. They really fit her like a second skin.

Even with the knee savers installed (which I'm trying my best to get her to stop using), they are lighter than her previous pair of Easton Youth leg guards without them ... and those were only 12.75". She'll get to break them in at her workout on Thursday.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I stopped buying complete packages at 10. Currently DD likes the matte finish Easton helmet, Rawlings chestprotector and I forget what shin guard she has in the bag but they are two pads for the knee as she doesn't like the three. Since not every kid is the same in shin length, torso build and mellon size it doesn't seem to make sense buying a package of all three items.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26