catching clinics/instructors DC/Baltimore

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Anyone know if any really good clinics or catching instructors in the DC/Baltimore areas? I have the NECC dvd and would love to do a clinic with them for DD but it doesn't look like that will work out. She will be doing some catching this fall after a long break from it (did some practice in HS this year after a bad sprain). The 18u team she is on is very good and she wants to get some extra training in. She will mainly play 3rd but really like her throwing speed and think she'd do great. Thanks

Oct 17, 2014
Maryland
11/04 TUESDAY ELECTION DAY 2014 at DOPSONS INDOOR FACILITY

...SOFTBALL CATCHER CAMP...
Four Levels; from Beginners -to- Seniors

John Dopson Pitching Instruction
8274 Lokus Road, Suite 112
Odenton, MD 21113

To guarantee a spot; ENROLL by email in ADVANCE... and receive free CATCHERS eBooks

Questions? Contact RICK at 410-696-4757 -or- rickstraub2@gmail.com
VISIT: Catcher Guru - Rick Straub provides years of experience as a player & coach that will improve YOU as a catcher. He has coached hundreds of players, played in thousands of games, with decades of catching experience... the knowledge that only time & ex

Oct 10, 2011
Just wanted you all to know that Rick did a great job working with DD. Yes there are a couple differences between NECC and what Rick teaches...(Rick is very familiar with them and has the DVD) but Rick explains them more as his "preferences" and even in his book, it lists various ways of doing things and which one he prefers. In our discussion, he said he is always open to what works best for each individual. So anyway, we give this clinic 5 stars and are going back soon:)

Jan 7, 2013
I'm curious about his "rapid release". I think that's an area DD needs to work on. Had a coach work on a flip throw to the corners, but the accuracy was way off. Anything you can share?

Oct 10, 2011
What are some of the differences?
I'm not as familiar with NECC except for what I've seen in the video. The good news is that there are very few differences from what I can tell but I'll know more soon as we spend more time working with Rick. One difference is the hand behind the glove with runners on base...Although Rick mentions this as an option, he prefers it off to the side behind the leg. DD's HS and TB coach will not allow the behind the glove technique anyway. There may be a difference from what NECC has on the disk about throwing, but I know they are going with what Austin teaches now, which seems more like what Rick teaches (I will know more about this as they will be working on throwing) About the only other thing I noticed from his book is that Rick prefers taking off the helmet in certain situations where if I recall correctly, NECC does not like it taken off at all.
That's about it, so not much difference and Rick can correct me if I'm wrong. I told DD she could take the month off from softball and she said she really wanted to go work with him again, so that says something about him as a teacher.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for the input. Here's the issues I have about the things you mentioned...

Having the throwing hand behind the leg in a RO stance means the hand has to travel through unprotected space to get behind the mitt in a proper blocking position. the only way to keep the hand safe behind the leg would be to leave it there, which (IMO) leads to a oddly imbalanced blocking move, especially if you have to move sideways. Also, hand travel is a lot farther in a throwing situation.

I still haven't seen a situation where I think taking off the helmet during a play on the field is a justifiable risk (IMO). In addition to leaving the catcher's head unprotected, it's one more thing to think about having to do, and one more thing to worry about on the ground.

Yes, NECC is teaching the Wasserman throwing mechanics at their camps and clinics.

I'm glad your DD is getting instruction she likes. That's an important factor in the whole thing.

Oct 10, 2011
I think the important thing is that these are his preferences as someone who is still catching...not absolutes which are what you get with some coaches. In the other thread I was interested in seeing gifs of people with their hand behind the glove because what I've seen, it seems like the hand is not being placed like in the NECC DVDs. Not arguing against it, just love to see an example.

Oct 10, 2011
I'm curious about his "rapid release". I think that's an area DD needs to work on. Had a coach work on a flip throw to the corners, but the accuracy was way off. Anything you can share?
He worked with DD on this for awhile but I'm not sure I can explain it well. Basically it is getting the feet/body in a position to throw as the ball is hitting the glove and making a quick transfer??? Sorry...iMlearning:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06