Catchers Program to Save Knees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
Inspired by catcher overuse thread.

It can be hard to recruit experienced catchers; I do think you need 3 on travel. There is also some PHYSICAL burnout on the other end. In college games, I saw the coach put in a pinch runner (once of course) and/or DP for the catcher, according to the announcer, to help the catcher's knees.

I saw a Web article on a D3 college catcher who said she joined a weightlifting program (for men's sports) at her college to save her knees (I will try and find the article).

I feel that baserunning helps the catcher by using the muscles differently and in motion rather than static catching and sitting on the bench. Any young catcher I have had on my team also hates having the courtesy runner, and has learned to put equipment on super-fast so as not to have one on 2 outs.

I know 2 young catchers who are either lead off hitter or can outrun the third baseman to a foul pop fly up the line. Love that!

I just can't imagine women with hobbled knees, crippled at 35, much like many former male catchers (who I admit have grown around the middle a bit). We just don't have a large sample of ex-women catchers that I know of.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Keep them lean and strong. On my 12u TB team my leadoff runner is also one of my catchers. She's just one of those naturally athletic kids (you know, don't have to teach an athletic stance to, it's just natural) and she's very strong, cannon for an arm, and is proud of her "6 pack". On Saturday's I do give her pinch runners often, just to save her. My other catcher is no slouch either, and while not as quick on the bases is not a kid that I like putting in a pinch runner for, she's very aggressive.

I don't like subbing for pitchers and catchers at 14 and 12u, because I believe they need to learn the whole game, and a pitcher and catcher at 14 and 12u might be an infielder or outfielder at HS or 18 gold level, so they need the experience.

A lot of coaches put the large kid at catcher, because they figure they'll block more balls. Bad move IMO, you're killing that kid doing that. She's going to be crippled squatting with all that extra weight. Keep them lean!

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I don't know that catching is the end of one's knees at age 35 or 40 or whatever. Right now the typical male who was a catcher 20 years ago, was also the center on the football team and played basketball too. Take those risk factors away and only play ball, like it seems kids do today. And do you have the same issues?

I'm not saying that its not tough on the body, but I don't see the same kids catching as they did when I was in school. So many of the catchers then were big and strong, today they are more likely to be limber and quick. I think the risk factors have changed, the body types have changed and the training is vastly different. I don't think we will know the affect for a few more year.

Sep 3, 2009
Screwball said:
I feel that baserunning helps the catcher by using the muscles differently and in motion rather than static catching and sitting on the bench. Any young catcher I have had on my team also hates having the courtesy runner, and has learned to put equipment on super-fast so as not to have one on 2 outs.

It's not to save the knees, but to keep them rested. Your catcher is already the most overworked physically demanding position on the field. If you could remove a little bit of that activity, why not? There are alot of exercises that a catcher can do to keep their knees healthy, and adolescent girls in particular, are more prone to certain types of knee injuries.

Keep them lean and strong. On my 12u TB team my leadoff runner is also one of my catchers. She's just one of those naturally athletic kids (you know, don't have to teach an athletic stance to, it's just natural) and she's very strong, cannon for an arm, and is proud of her "6 pack". On Saturday's I do give her pinch runners often, just to save her. My other catcher is no slouch either, and while not as quick on the bases is not a kid that I like putting in a pinch runner for, she's very aggressive.

I don't like subbing for pitchers and catchers at 14 and 12u, because I believe they need to learn the whole game, and a pitcher and catcher at 14 and 12u might be an infielder or outfielder at HS or 18 gold level, so they need the experience.

My dd hates getting a pinch runner, but if she's catching that game, the coach will do it. DD usually bats 1 or 2, but in the games she is not catching, she is running the bases so still get's to learn and play.

A lot of coaches put the large kid at catcher, because they figure they'll block more balls. Bad move IMO, you're killing that kid doing that. She's going to be crippled squatting with all that extra weight. Keep them lean!

That should go with just life in general. I know of what you speak though. I've seen many a large girl put behind the plate for just the reason you stated. Maybe because of the rules and nature of the game, it's a good idea in baseball. In softball, not so much. They need to be quick and agile.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
My DD (14U) wants to run her bases.

She is little for a catcher, but her short stature helps her bounce up faster. She is developing a laser of an arm and got 2 girls out on throw downs last night. So she may look like nothing, but she will give your speedster trying to steal a run for her money.

I worry about her knees holding out. She loves games when she gets to go out and play short or third or even when she gets in OF and can stretch her legs.

Sep 3, 2009
She is little for a catcher, but her short stature helps her bounce up faster.

So she may look like nothing, but she will give your speedster trying to steal a run for her money.

Sounds just like mine.

I worry about her knees holding out. She loves games when she gets to go out and play short or third or even when she gets in OF and can stretch her legs.

The Dr we saw, said that the single best thing to do for catcher's, is to strengthen the VOM muscle. That helps the knee cap track straight, and avoid damaging the patella tendon; which is one of the most common injuries for catchers.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I am friends with 5 ladies that are former catchers in high school... Their ages range from early 30's to mid fifties. 4 of them have undergone knee surgery. Keeping the knees healthy is critical for catchers. Runner's knee is common for many young athletes... Especially those competing in 2 or more sports. Our DD loves basketball and softball. But she never gave her knees (her body) time to rest. Softball runs all spring and summer in Missouri, H/S ball in the fall, basketball in the winter along with softball workouts after the first of the year.

Having the kneecap tracking straight is the most common issue. There are steps to be taken to reduce stress to the knee and alignment issues... Proper conditioning, stretching, exercise and rest are a must. Catchers should focus on knee-specific exercises to keep the patella in alignment and adjoining connective tissue strong. Steps to take behind the plate include utilizing stances that reduce stress to the joints, maintaining proper balance, utilizing the whole body on certain plays rather than just the legs and knees (such as coming up fast out of stance to chase down a bunt or wild pitch) will help reduce wear and tear on the knees. Always consult a physician when knee pain is an issue.

Catching is the most demanding position on the field. Yet most catchers receive very little instruction, training or even adequate practice time. One of the best sources to know what to do and how to do it behind the plate is The New England Catching Camp. Their 3 hour video is probably the most comprehensive instruction video available. It made a big difference for my DD.
-Chaz @ Advanced Catching Concepts

Jan 15, 2009
My program to save knees would be to never join a travel program that carries fewer than 3 catchers. HS season you have less say in, but is also shorter and will rarely push them more than 2 games in one day and is a short season. If you join a travel team with 2 catchers(and one gets hurt) or as the sole catcher very likely you could catch 6 or 7 games per weekend 6-7 weekends that's where you do some real damage.

Jul 26, 2010
I prefer having 2 and building 1 more. It's how TB teams contribute to the softball world, you know, actually teaching the game?

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32