catcher throwing to first on dropped third strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
Where or how do you teach your catcher to throw the ball when there are been a dropped third strike and batter begins to run? My catcher is afraid that she might hit the runner. Do you suggest step in toward field? If they throw down on the right then 1b has to step into the path of runner.

Nov 29, 2009
On dropped 3rd strikes most of the time the ball is in foul territory. Have your catcher move to foul territory and have your 1st baseman use the orange bag. If the ball is blocked and kept in front of the plate then teach your catcher to move far enough into fair territory to make a throwing lane for herself to the 1st baseman. Work on it a practice with all your catchers and 1st basemen so everyone is on the same page. Have the catcher yell inside if her intentions are to move into fair territory. Have her yell outside if she intends to move into foul territory.

May 28, 2013
Sparky has most of it perfect. Communication is the most important thing, Practice is the second. I do not agree with the use of the Orange bag, however.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Sparky has most of it perfect. Communication is the most important thing, Practice is the second. I do not agree with the use of the Orange bag, however.

If there is an orange safety bag and the ball goes foul the first base fielder should absolutely use it they are going to set up for an outside throw. Why wouldn't they? Nice clean throwing lane.

However I disagree on where most of the D3K balls end up and where the catcher has a play - the ball is often right around the plate on a D3K because it is often a straight drop by the catcher which falls almost straight down in front of them. If this is the case it is normally easier for the catcher to move into fair territory and make the inside throw.

So it is really a matter of where the ball is making the decision for the catcher. Practice both.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
One important note - the first baseman doesn't have to receive the ball while standing on the base! Most of the time the play becomes much simpler if the first baseman moves a step away from the base (coordinated with the catcher being in fair or foul territory) to create a cleaner throwing lane and then steps and touches the bag after receiving the ball. Of course, this isn't an option if it's going to be a bang-bang play.

Jun 12, 2015
Our catchers seem to mostly take a step to the right, into foul territory, and throw straight to 1B. This has worked from what I can tell. We had one girl this weekend make it on a dropped third but it was a passed ball and a really deep backstop. Otherwise they usually get them that way.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As mentioned previously, practice is critical. Lots of it. In most situations, with a C and 1B who know what to do, this is a really easy routine play.

May 23, 2015
The orange safety bag is for runners and not outs. Also if your player sets up on it you may have an obstruction issue with the baserunner

Ideally the catcher steps into fair territory and throws the the fair side of first base. The runner has the running lane on the foul side of the chalk. On a PB/WP you have no choice but to throw in foul territory and place a tag instead of a foot rave to the bag

Jul 3, 2013
The orange safety bag is for runners and not outs. Also if your player sets up on it you may have an obstruction issue with the baserunner

Ideally the catcher steps into fair territory and throws the the fair side of first base. The runner has the running lane on the foul side of the chalk. On a PB/WP you have no choice but to throw in foul territory and place a tag instead of a foot rave to the bag

This is incorrect. The defense may use the orange portion on a play from foul territory or a throw that pulls the fielder into foul territory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors