Catcher throwing to 1st on what she thought was D3K with runner on 3rd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
I know I saw a discussion on this before, but I can't find it.

ASA rules, 14u game, 1 out, R1 on 3B, B2 batting with 2 balls, 1 strike. B2 swings and misses at the next pitch, and F2 catches the ball on the bounce. 3rd Base coach yells to B2 to run to 1B, and she does. F2 pulls a DMC and throws down to 1B. B2 makes it about halfway before the 1B coach tells her it is only strike 2. R1 on 3B doesn't advance. Umpire calls dead ball and awards R1 home because the catcher did not return the ball to the pitcher. The ruling didn't sit well with me and I'm looking it up now and the closest I can find is this:

Rule 6, Section 7-B:
The catcher shall return the ball directly to the pitcher after each pitch, except after a strikeout, a put out or an attempted put out made by the catcher.
EFFECT: A ball on the batter.
EXCEPTION: Does not apply with a runner(s) on base or the batter becoming a batter-runner.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the penalty should be "a ball on the batter." Additionally, the EXCEPTION doesn't specify that the throw has to be towards the base that the baserunner(s) occupy, so potentially there shouldn't be any penalty enforced at all. In my eyes, I have DMC and she's lucky that R1 didn't score. Or am I missing something?

Mar 15, 2014
Is the umpire penalizing the catcher because she threw to first in a mistaken belief that it was an uncaught 3rd strike?
If that is the case then that is one dumb umpire, because she threw to first to make a play.
In this situation there should be no call--just allow F3 to throw the ball back to the pitcher and play on.
If I was the umpire I would have called time once everyone realized that it was only strike 2, had the ball returned to the pitcher and get the game back on.
Yes--we can do that under the section of making a ruling on something that is not covered in the rule book.
In this case, had the umpire insisted on the penalty, then the "proper" effect would have been a ball on the batter.
Followed by a protest and a phone call to the umpire's assignor.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
...and why is 3b runner still standing in 3rd when the ball is being thrown to 1st?

Jun 22, 2008
Incorrect application of the rule you have cited. The rule only applies with no runners on base and it is nothing but a ball to the batter. As for the rest of the play, yes DMC, they should know the situation and not throw the ball when not needed.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The only thing I can think of is DMR1? I guess the coach hasn't practiced that bush league move with them enough.

At 14u...and she didn't go on instinct...I would bet that isn't all they haven't practiced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC