Catcher specific conditioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2009
Obviously squatting movements are necessary to build the required strength for catchers but how you teach the squat is critical. We know that girls are more likely to sustain acl injuries and reasons hypothesized are numerous (quad dominance, q angle, hip mobility, ankle mobility, menstruation, etc.). When teaching the squat emphasize the hip hinge and not the knee bend. Wall sits would encourage quad dominance. Instead have your girl squat facing the wall with her toes touching the wall. Hip and ankle mobility will probably need to be addressed on a regular basis in order to have the required flexibility to do this movement. Box squats would also be an appropriate exercise if you emphasize sitting back and not down. Split squats are good to encourage single leg strength and stability in the frontal plane (sometimes ankles can be immobile in the sagittal and transverse planes but unstable in the frontal). With split squats emphasize the knee on the back leg going down. One leg romanian deadlifts are good for hip hinge, hamstring strength, balance, and ankle stability. Emphasize maintaining a straight line from the heel on the swing leg to the head. Glute bridges are great to get the glutes firing and get away from quad dominance. Emphasize maintaining a straight line from the knees to the shoulders. With catchers the hip flexors need to be stretched. The best way to do this is on one knee. The leg with the knee on the ground is the hip flexor that is stretched. Rock forward the stretch the down hip. If you lift the foot on the down leg up to the butt while rocking you'll also stretch the rectus femoris ( the only quadricep muscle that passes over the knee and hip). The reason to have the opposite knee up is this locks the pelvis in place preventing lumbar extension substituting for hip extensiion. Good luck.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2009
Coach Marc,
What do you think about the thought that the knee savers promote anteriior tibial slide? I was (am?) a knee saver guy but just recently I've talked to some smart guys who feel that they hurt more than help. Obviously wearing them too high would promote that anterior slide.

Sep 3, 2009
Coach Marc,
What do you think about the thought that the knee savers promote anteriior tibial slide? I was (am?) a knee saver guy but just recently I've talked to some smart guys who feel that they hurt more than help. Obviously wearing them too high would promote that anterior slide.

There's a thread on this site somewhere, that talks about that very subject.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hi Kelly:

Not sure what you mean by anterior slide. However, there is no question that knee saver takes tremendous stress of the knee joint by providing strong additional support. It certainly helps keep this complex healthier in the long run.

Coach Marc :)

Hi Marc,

I am actually extremely interested by the subject of knee savers and catching in softball. I did a literature search and I haven't found an article on the biomechanical changes (or knee injury rate changes) with knee savers. However, that only means I haven't found the black sheep in the flock :) I think it would be interesting to see if as a piece of equipment it is effective.

In regards to Kelly's comment, the anterior slide comes from an increased anterior force onto the tibia generated by the weight of the thigh (and upper body) being transfered through the knee savers. Hence, I haven;t found convincing evidence so far on how knee savers would be an effective piece of equipment for an activity that has transient periods with large knee flexions. The knee savers will not help during the up part of the squat were most of the compression forces are happening at the knee joint through muscle activity.

Let me know what you guys/gals think :)
Michel Ladouceur, PhD
Professor of Biomecanics, Dalhousie University

Hi Kelly:

Not sure what you mean by anterior slide. However, there is no question that knee saver takes tremendous stress of the knee joint by providing strong additional support. It certainly helps keep this complex healthier in the long run.

Coach Marc :)

Jan 15, 2009
My daughter calls it swimming for her High School. I call it her off season conditioning routine. 4-5K yards 5-6 days a week for 3 months and since she started swimming you cannot wear her out behind the plate.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hi Marc,

I am actually extremely interested by the subject of knee savers and catching in softball. I did a literature search and I haven't found an article on the biomechanical changes (or knee injury rate changes) with knee savers. However, that only means I haven't found the black sheep in the flock :) I think it would be interesting to see if as a piece of equipment it is effective.

In regards to Kelly's comment, the anterior slide comes from an increased anterior force onto the tibia generated by the weight of the thigh (and upper body) being transfered through the knee savers. Hence, I haven;t found convincing evidence so far on how knee savers would be an effective piece of equipment for an activity that has transient periods with large knee flexions. The knee savers will not help during the up part of the squat were most of the compression forces are happening at the knee joint through muscle activity.

Michel Ladouceur, PhD

Hi Michel:

Thank you for the clarifications. I just had never heard the term anterior slide before but it does make sense.

If ever you find more info, please by all means, post it here. I would be interested and so would be many people.

Cheers,

Marc

Jul 17, 2009
Hi Marc,

Michel Ladouceur, PhD

Michel,
I can see how the tibia could slide with the knee savers up high but I can't visualize how wearing them on the achilles would have the same effect. Do you believe that it would? My layman's conceptualization of what happens to a catcher with the inordinate amount of time that they spend in the position is that the patella becomes lax and consequently the knee becomes unstable. The hip flexors shorten which tends to encourage anterior pelvic tilt, in an effort to get lower the catcher tends to go into lumbar flexion, the tendency to make up for ROM with lumbar flexion encourages an inhibition of gluteal activity, inhibited glutes encourages overactive quads, and quad dominance encourages acl injuries. Is this at all accurate in your opinion?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish